Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you a perfectionist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are you a perfectionist,if so what about? to what extent would you say that you're a perfectionist? how bad is your perfectionism? Also have there been any positives with your perfectionism?

ReputationRep:
    I am a perfectionist, without a doubt. Pretty badly - to the extent that I will often just give up and refuse to do something at all, rather than risk trying to do it and making a mistake or getting it wrong or looking stupid. I used to write work out repeatedly until it looked 'neat enough', I'm terrified of anybody seeing my work, and I hate myself if I make a mistake at anything. I give myself so much criticism it's ridiculous, if I do anything slightly wrong I just see myself as a complete failure, and I set myself way too harsh standards! I am trying to teach myself to relax slightly more and take more 'risks' in this sense...

Not a huge amount of positives for me - I'm definitely on the 'maladaptive perfectionism' side of the scale! But it does mean I'm very organised and tidy, that I always work as hard as I can with uni and (usually!) training. And it has meant that I am very interested in perfectionism research, which led to me doing my undergraduate dissertation on perfectionism and striving for excellence, and it's still one of my research interests now. So that's a very major positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    I am a perfectionist, without a doubt. Pretty badly - to the extent that I will often just give up and refuse to do something at all, rather than risk trying to do it and making a mistake or getting it wrong or looking stupid. I used to write work out repeatedly until it looked 'neat enough', I'm terrified of anybody seeing my work, and I hate myself if I make a mistake at anything. I give myself so much criticism it's ridiculous, if I do anything slightly wrong I just see myself as a complete failure, and I set myself way too harsh standards! I am trying to teach myself to relax slightly more and take more 'risks' in this sense...

Not a huge amount of positives for me - I'm definitely on the 'maladaptive perfectionism' side of the scale! But it does mean I'm very organised and tidy, that I always work as hard as I can with uni and (usually!) training. And it has meant that I am very interested in perfectionism research, which led to me doing my undergraduate dissertation on perfectionism and striving for excellence, and it's still one of my research interests now. So that's a very major positive.

I am very interested in perfectionism too and I have certain qualities of it myself. I do what you have explained, I also miss deadlines because my work isn't perfect enough. It is and endless torturous cycle. I just wondered if there was excellence that came out of it, or just hatred for the way I perform... I haven't received any positives at all yet! I was hoping for some success stories on this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosebud114)
    I am very interested in perfectionism too and I have certain qualities of it myself. I do what you have explained, I also miss deadlines because my work isn't perfect enough. It is and endless torturous cycle. I just wondered if there was excellence that came out of it, or just hatred for the way I perform... I haven't received any positives at all yet! I was hoping for some success stories on this thread
    There can be positives. If you're interested, have a look at some of the research into adaptive and maladaptive perfectionism. Adaptive perfectionism is the striving for perfection/excellence, high standards etc side of things but without the doubts about actions, self-criticism, etc and adaptive perfectionists are able to still feel satisfied if they don't always reach their high standards. And adaptive perfectionism has been linked to higher motivation, higher performance, things like that. So it is possible to achieve that excellence side of things without the self-hatred. There is hope.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.