Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Dear TSR,

    I am writing this on behalf of somebody keen on going to university to pursue a degree in Nursing. They have over 10 years of experience working in the Healthcare Sector and only has work-based qualifications (NVQs).

    I wanted to ask you for some advice in regards to preparing an application for entry in September 2016. In between now and then, they are looking at gaining the qualifications necessary for consideration.

    GCSE (None ATM - Aiming to do following) Is 5 enough?

    1) Mathematics
    2) English (Do they need to do both Lang & Lit?)
    3) Biology
    4) Chemistry
    5) Physics

    A-Levels (None ATM - Aiming to do following)

    We have no idea about what A-Levels to go for? Once they have gained their GCSE's would Access Courses be a better option?

    Work Experience

    Over 10 years of experience in the Healthcare Sector (NHS).

    I look forward to hearing from you all!

    The best thing to do for this individual is to contact the universities they are planning on applying to and see what their entry requirements are.
    An access course is usually done in place of a-levels or for people who haven't been in education for a long period of time.
    So if they do this they may not have to do a-levels. Look at gcses maths English and science though. Those core subjects are important regardless. I'd say perhaps more important than a-levels!
    When they did their nvqs did they do any maths or English? Some universities may accept those in place of gcses.
    Like I said, look at unis and give them an email so they know what's needed.
    Best of luck though as that's a lot of work in a year to do!

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    What about doing an access course alongside English and Maths GCSE? It is a one year course. That would be the better option. Contact your local college :-)

    I am also hoping to study nursing in 2016 and will be starting my access course in September.
    From doing my research on my own choices for university, they all ask for minimum 5 GCSEs including maths and English (some say science too).
    Once you have your GCSEs i, personally, would go the access course route. The qualification you gain at the end of it is equivalent to A-levels and most universities will accept it.
    Also because you have no A-levels, you most likely will get your access course fully funded or if you don't you can apply for a loan which then gets written off if you progress straight into university.
    What I do advise is definitely looking into the universities you would be interested in attending and see what their entry requirements are. Also contact your local colleges regarding your GCSEs and further education, they will be able to advise you on the best route.
    Hope this helped and good luck!

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.