Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    How will finance (grants/bursaries/scholarships/loans) affect benefits such as Housing Benefit/Child Tax Credits/Income Support?

    When I start University, the number of hours my partner and I work per week will be halved (to 14). We are unmarried, but have 3 children under the age of 16 at home.

    We currently receive Housing Benefit/Child Tax Credits/Income Support due to our low earnings. At what earnings threshold will we lose any of these benefits (if at all) and will my partner be forced find other work to supplement the number of hours she works per week?

    Thank You
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    We do not have specific information about how student finance will affect your benefits.

    You would be best to check with the departments that provide your specific benefits to find out how student finance will affect them, as it can differ based on the type of benefit.

    However, I can confirm that only certain aspects of our funding are classed as income when working out income-related benefits.

    These are:
    Any maintenance loan or grants you are entitled to
    Adult's dependent's grant (you would only receive this if you have an adult dependent)
    Most bursaries paid by the University

    Your tuition fee loan, parental learning allowance and childcare grants would not be counted as income. If you receive special support grant instead of maintenance grant this too would not be counted as income.

    You can work out which of these you are likely to be entitled to by using the student finance calculator:

    • Thread Starter

    Thanks for your prompt response, It's sort of helped answer most of my questions!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.