Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Don't know what I want? watch

Announcements

I met a guy Who I am now very close to. He moved over to the UK from the USA to study here at University. We both have quite similar issues in that we both have quite bad anxiety disorders and depression. So we can relate to each other a lot in that way and also other ways. I really do like him, he also says that he likes me.

His anxiety and depression are pretty bad at the minute and he is considering going back home to live in the USA.

He told me the only reason he would stay is if I would be with him as we are not together as of now, like there is nothing official.

I don't mean to sound selfish here but I feel like that is too much pressure to put on somebody and it's making me think twice about the whole thing, like yes I could probably help him out and I do like him and I don't want him to be unhappy but I won't make him completely happy and if he really wants to go back home then he will and just leave me. What about the plans I had for my life also? like I wasn't planning on being in a relationship and being stuck here forever.

To say to someone unless you're going to be with me I am leaving and throwing my whole degree away and future plans is a little suffocating?. I feel that if I say to him ''I don't know what I want'' it would just make him more depressed.

I don't know what I want, I have enough issues of my own and although we are a great help to each other I don't know if a relationship would maybe turn a little toxic if you both have exactly the same problems.

I'm sorry this is long but could anyone advise me?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I think you should be honest. You should explain that degree is for him, for his future not for you, if he will be happier without it, let it be, degree/education should be the reason for him to stay, not you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.