Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. I just wanted to know if I could seek the advice if some of the people wih experience working in an investment bank. I have an offer for a bank in dcm and I just wanted to know if anyone could provide some answers for the below questions:

- how much would is the base salary for an analyst/associate/someone with 4 years banking experience
    - what are the working hours like with heavy deal flow and a growing bond desk
    - what are the key things that you would be doing and is there much financial modelling and what type?
    - is it more process driven and can be easily picked up?
    - what is more challenging technically: dcm, ECM, m&a, private equity
    - small teams better than big teams?
    - I also have some specific questions that I would like to ask people via PM so if you know anyone who has worked in dcm I would appreciate some help!
    - anyone have experience with the following cultures: US, Swiss, British, German, japanese : any key adjectives to describe each?
    - what are the exit ops like? And can you still be doing it when you are 40 or will I burn out?
    - will I have to pass FCA exams and how are they structured? Are they difficult?
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Wow ... No one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. I just wanted to know if I could seek the advice if some of the people wih experience working in an investment bank. I have an offer for a bank in dcm and I just wanted to know if anyone could provide some answers for the below questions:

- how much would is the base salary for an analyst/associate/someone with 4 years banking experience
    - what are the working hours like with heavy deal flow and a growing bond desk
    - what are the key things that you would be doing and is there much financial modelling and what type?
    - is it more process driven and can be easily picked up?
    - what is more challenging technically: dcm, ECM, m&a, private equity
    - small teams better than big teams?
    - I also have some specific questions that I would like to ask people via PM so if you know anyone who has worked in dcm I would appreciate some help!
    - anyone have experience with the following cultures: US, Swiss, British, German, japanese : any key adjectives to describe each?
    - what are the exit ops like? And can you still be doing it when you are 40 or will I burn out?
    - will I have to pass FCA exams and how are they structured? Are they difficult?
    Thanks guys
    I can only help you with the culture question. I did some internships and placements in a swiss, american and british banks and i would say that swiss culture is by far the best. It is more relaxed and friendly. The others were very fast paced and with plenty of stress ( especially at bank of america)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok just a little update, I have received a figure for the salary and it's shocking Ly low. Happy to tell people via pm. What should an associate/AVP be on?

I am pretty annoyed and not sure if I'll take the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleached)
    Ok just a little update, I have received a figure for the salary and it's shocking Ly low. Happy to tell people via pm. What should an associate/AVP be on?

I am pretty annoyed and not sure if I'll take the offer!
    What was the salary, if you don't mind me asking and for what firm was this?

ReputationRep:
    Comments below in non-screaming caps. I worked in DCM / Lev Fin:

- how much would is the base salary for an analyst/associate/someone with 4 years banking experience [SEE MERGERS AND INQUISITIONS SALARY / BONUS DATA. SHOULD BE SAME AS M&A AT MOST BBs. I WAS ON 45K WHEN I STARTED]
    - what are the working hours like with heavy deal flow and a growing bond desk [EARLY START, 12-14 HOUR DAYS. BETTER THAN M&A TEAMS. CAN GET JAMMED SO EXPECT BAD NIGHTS / OCCASIONAL WEEKEND WORK]
    - what are the key things that you would be doing and is there much financial modelling and what type? [VARIES. LBO WAS BREAD AND BUTTER FOR ME. COMP WORK IN EXCEL VERY COMMON. USUAL IBD TYPE WORK]
    - is it more process driven and can be easily picked up? [YES, VERY PROCESS DRIVEN. IT'S A PRODUCT RATHER THAN SECTOR GROUP. YOU'RE EXECUTION FOR OTHER TEAMS]
    - what is more challenging technically: dcm, ECM, m&a, private equity [?? DCM IS PROBABLY THE LEAST, BUT HARD TO SAY.. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T DO M&A...]
    - small teams better than big teams? [BIG. MORE HELP FOR JUNIORS. WORKING AT A BANK WITH GOOD DEAL FLOW IS MORE IMPORTANT]
    - I also have some specific questions that I would like to ask people via PM so if you know anyone who has worked in dcm I would appreciate some help! [PLEASE DO]
    - anyone have experience with the following cultures: US, Swiss, British, German, japanese : any key adjectives to describe each? US, UK. PLEASE PM ME
    - what are the exit ops like? And can you still be doing it when you are 40 or will I burn out? OPS ARE MORE LIMITED BUT GOOD. IF YOU LOVE IT, YOU'LL STAY, BUT I DIDN'T
    - will I have to pass FCA exams and how are they structured? Are they difficult? EASY ENOUGH BUT YOU NEED TO PUT IN THE WORK. LOTS OF MEMORISATION

Bb.

ReputationRep:
    Thank she guys who have emailed me and shared their experience, I have been given a higher offer which I am personally comfortable with.

Does anyone have experience with smaller firms/botiques? I understand that everyone is obsessed with BB but I guess I am asking of anyone know what pay progression is like at small firms and the hours?

What about small funds such as MIDIS by Macquarie?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.