Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm an international and need your advice. I'm a first year doing CS at Bristol and is considering a transfer to UCL for second year, mainly because I don't have a lot of friends here. Although, if I'm convinced that Bristol suits me better, then I'll stay. My parents don't mind me transferring and leave the decision entirely up to me. I have 3A* during my A-level doing FM, M and Phys and have exchanged a series of emails with UCL and they said will be considering me.

Please tell me your opinion on each uni, pros and cons of each uni and the department in term of its reputation in the UK, global reputation,department facilities, supports provided, content of the course, local/international employer's view on each university and department.

I want to choose the one that will be viewed by Oxbridge as more superior than the other (planning on doing my master there, it's better to plan ahead). But most likely won't be working in the UK after finishing my master degree, so my decision also based on which one is more superior in the eye of international employer such as Google.

(The city, night life, living cost, tuition fee etc. doesn't need to be taken into account as I know both very well and doesn't matter which one really. Although I'm slightly inclined towards London as there are more concerts there. But I'm very happy with the amount of concerts I attended in Bristol right now.)

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I personally didn't like the look of the Bristol CS course when I was choosing my options so applied (and will be insurancing) UCL. In terms of rep they are much the same, you could get into Oxbridge with either presumably. UCL has more international rep I believe though if that's an important factor to you. Employability is fairly similar, but UCL is in London so has more opportunities to get into investment banking (if you're into that). I personally loved London, but Bristol is probably quite nice too. I liked the look of the UCL modules, quite mathsy and diverse.
    You have amazing A level grades, might I ask why you didn't apply to Imperial/Oxbridge in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nirvanamirror)
    Hi guys,

I'm an international and need your advice. I'm a first year doing CS at Bristol and is considering a transfer to UCL for second year, mainly because I don't have a lot of friends here. Although, if I'm convinced that Bristol suits me better, then I'll stay. My parents don't mind me transferring and leave the decision entirely up to me. I have 3A* during my A-level doing FM, M and Phys and have exchanged a series of emails with UCL and they said will be considering me.

Please tell me your opinion on each uni, pros and cons of each uni and the department in term of its reputation in the UK, global reputation,department facilities, supports provided, content of the course, local/international employer's view on each university and department.

I want to choose the one that will be viewed by Oxbridge as more superior than the other (planning on doing my master there, it's better to plan ahead). But most likely won't be working in the UK after finishing my master degree, so my decision also based on which one is more superior in the eye of international employer such as Google.

(The city, night life, living cost, tuition fee etc. doesn't need to be taken into account as I know both very well and doesn't matter which one really. Although I'm slightly inclined towards London as there are more concerts there. But I'm very happy with the amount of concerts I attended in Bristol right now.)
    UCL is a lot better in terms of prestige, in my opinion.

As far as I know (although I have little experience with this) it won't matter much Oxbridge whether you went to Bristol or UCL. However if you are planning to work for a Silicon Valley company, they are much more likely to be targetting hiring at UCL than at Bristol. Not that you can't apply, but there are probably not going to be as many at your careers fairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    UCL is a lot better in terms of prestige, in my opinion.

As far as I know (although I have little experience with this) it won't matter much Oxbridge whether you went to Bristol or UCL. However if you are planning to work for a Silicon Valley company, they are much more likely to be targetting hiring at UCL than at Bristol. Not that you can't apply, but there are probably not going to be as many at your careers fairs

How does KCL compare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepredestrian)
    How does KCL compare?
    For CompSci? Not as good in terms of prestige but not massively different employment prospects wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    For CompSci? Not as good in terms of prestige but not massively different employment prospects wise.
    I applied to KCL and not UCL thinking my grades wouldnt make it. Now that I got an offer from KCL Im kinda kicking myself for not at least trying for UCL.

I guess Ill have to be satisfied with what I have!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to KCL and not UCL thinking my grades wouldnt make it. Now that I got an offer from KCL Im kinda kicking myself for not at least trying for UCL.

I guess Ill have to be satisfied with what I have!
    KCL is still a nice uni, and it's in London so you've got easy access to employment. Do some summer internships etc. and get a first then you'll be good to go. When I was deciding which unis to apply for I went by the motto: 'better to waste a choice at the top than the bottom'. I knew I would've regretted anything else.
    You could take a gap year and reapply if your grades were significantly better and you really wanted to, but KCL is still a nice place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    KCL is still a nice uni, and it's in London so you've got easy access to employment. Do some summer internships etc. and get a first then you'll be good to go. When I was deciding which unis to apply for I went by the motto: 'better to waste a choice at the top than the bottom'. I knew I would've regretted anything else.
    You could take a gap year and reapply if your grades were significantly better and you really wanted to, but KCL is still a nice place.
    Yup, thanks for the reply. In all honesty I felt glad when I was accepted into King's so I guess that's a good indication. Being in London's a big plus for me because it has a good tech / startup scene which I'm excited for. Deferring for another year isn't really an option for me. Maybe if I do well in my first year I'll cobsider applying for a transfer

ReputationRep:
    Yup, thanks for the reply. In all honesty I felt glad when I was accepted into King's so I guess that's a good indication. Being in London's a big plus for me because it has a good tech / startup scene which I'm excited for. Deferring for another year isn't really an option for me. Maybe if I do well in my first year I'll cobsider applying for a transfer
    Not all unis allow you to transfer in though. I know imperial doesn't. Those hack a thons sound really fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Not all unis allow you to transfer in though. I know imperial doesn't. Those hack a thons sound really fun
    May I know which uni you're studying CompSci at, and how do you find it?

ReputationRep:
    May I know which uni you're studying CompSci at, and how do you find it?
    I'm a Y13 sorry! Though if I meet my offer then I'll be at Cambridge in October.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.