Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Shakespeare Coursework Help (LITB2) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently doing my coursework on the Taming Of The Shrew and my question is: Trace the motif of disguise as an aspect of dramatic comedy in The Taming Of The Shrew

Would anybody be able to give me any help or just general pointers on what I could write about? I understand the characters and their disguises and why they did it but I'm struggling to go 'above and beyond' and put some higher level stuff in my answer, e.g citing work of literary critic or contextualising.

If anyone would be able to give me a couple of great ideas I could write about in my answer, I would be really grateful!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you could refer to law's dutiful daughters and wilful nieces and explore the idea of disguise as Bianca and Katherina disguise their true personalities in order to attain the type of husband they want? might not be relevant but I've mentioned it in my coursework!

ReputationRep:
    Critical responses are much easier when you get to uni, since you have the library and e-resources.

For this, you may be able to find something that references disguise in other Shakespeare plays (try Peter Hyland 'Shakespeare's Heroines: Disguise in the Romantic Comedies') since that's likely to tick a box for context and criticism.
    You can often find things online (but I'd recommend only using things from journals or where the author is clearly stated, i.e. not something like studyhelp.com.

Other than that, if you're serious about getting a truly good grade, I'd recommend going to your university library and seeing if you can get a daypass or go in as a visitor. You may need a letter from your school. You probably won't be able to check books out, but libraries are often the best places to write anyway. Also, if you have any friends at university, you might be able to pester them for JStor login information (as long as their uni provides it).

At the end of the day, though, your analysis is the most important part of the essay. My advice here is to read through the play, make notes, brainstorm/mindmap and plan. This is where most of your ideas will come from.

This is specific to KCL, but certain points may be useful: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/...ide2014-15.pdf

Hope I've helped

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.