Lots of children do not shower after school sport, says study Watch

barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30796304

Not a surprise. When I was at school those boys who did not want to shower tended to miss a lot of PE with conditions/illnesses/injuries and have a note from their parents, or do the towel dance when changing.

What happens/happened for you in your school?
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not a surprise really. Who actually had time to shower when you had to rush from pe to your next lesson? I don't think I ever showered after pe.
JackS94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My school didn't even have showers. It wasn't an option; no-one showered.
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We have compulsory PE at sixth form and don't shower afterwards, but I have one (just like everyday) after school, and in the morning.
Precious Illusions
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hothedgehog)
Not a surprise really. Who actually had time to shower when you had to rush from pe to your next lesson? I don't think I ever showered after pe.
This, I was always 15 mins late for the next lesson anyway! Showers weren't even put in my school changing rooms until I was in year 10.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No one bothered showering after PE at my school.

You'd have a shower after a Rugby match on a Saturday, but that was about it.
Powpowpowpowpow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Primary school didn't have showers. High school had showers and I suspect they might have been used once upon a time, but by time I arrived in first year the showers had reached a point of decay where they were unusable for anything besides acting as a changing room. Most of the showers didn't work and had missing knobs, the ones that did could get stuck on and piss off the janitor so hardly anyone risked it. That and we only got 5 minutes or less to change in a rather chaotic changing room with some girls causing trouble and making it more difficult for everyone else to get ready, and the fact there was no 5 minute leeway to get to the next class like college has, there was no time to shower.

Maybe in some schools with working showers and ample time to use them it could be a self-consciousness thing, but in other places it really is a lack of time or availability.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We had showers in our changing room, but they were never used. I remember getting worried when I first saw them, but I was relieved when I realised they weren't ever going to be used. It just seemed to be used as a storage area I think.

I don't think there's any need for it. The embarrassment alone is a good enough reason not to do it. It also eats into lesson time, forcing them to either shorten the PE lesson or have kids late for other lessons.
username1494226
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We had 3 showers(or 4) for like 20 people in one of the changing rooms plus who really wants to shower in a school, what if the other kids tried to prank you(e.g steal your towel)
orangeee22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my old school we had showers but you weren't allowed to use them,and in my current school we don't have showers.
SHBK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We weren't allowed to shower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just saw this on my bbc news app and I'm not surprised.

Although we did have showers available many did not bother as we were probably going to be late for next period.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We didn't even have showers, forget having time to use them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Many kids I know effectively showered themselves in deodorant if that counts? That place was like a gas chamber.
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Many kids I know effectively showered themselves in deodorant if that counts? That place was like a gas chamber.
We had this, we were never allowed to shower so everyone just used to spray deodorant like their lives depended on it. Then they told us we were only allowed to use roll on and I get really irritated by roll on so I would just refuse to do anything too energetic to make myself sweat.
blossomx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We had nice new showers but there was just no time to use them. We'd usually still be on the field when the bell rang for next lesson so had to run to the changing rooms and get changed as quickly as possible.

I was lazy in PE anyways so I never even broke a sweat haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
everyone used them after swimming lessons but nothing else.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
None of us showered after it, ever. It was normally the final classes in the day anyway.
Amy. J S
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm sure the showers in our changing rooms didn't work, and even if they did people were far too self-conscious to use them. It was awful changing into your PE kit, never mind then walking to a shower cubicle and showering with other people.

Completely agree with the time thing, as well. There was just NEVER enough time, and then the teacher who had students swanning into the classroom over the next 20 minutes used to get really pissed off. :rolleyes:
The PE teachers tried to clamp down on the lateness and gave us, I think, 3-5 minutes to get changed and if people weren't changed in that time they'd come into the room and start making you hurry.
Ah, such good memories...
Jasaron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I only really used them to wash mud off after playing football. In other schools, do people actually shower? I never really thought about it, because our showers had no dividers in between them, so showering after PE would be a prison-esque affair.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (317)
65.77%
No (165)
34.23%

Watched Threads