Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do physics at Oxford. I got 7 A*s at GCSE and am currently doing A-Levels in maths, further maths, physics and computing. The trouble is that computing is not going well because I am not good at the coursework, and I think that the highest grade I could get at AS would be a B. I can easily get As in the others, so I am not worried about those. I am planning to drop computing at the end of this year, but I am worried about Oxford.
    1) would AAAB at AS be enough for an interview, provided I scored well in the PAT exam and the rest of my application was good enough?
    2) are 3 A-Levels in physics, maths and further maths enough, or do I need 4 A Levels to be considered? I do a lot of extra reading around my subjects and am planning to strengthen my application in other areas.
    I am just wondering if a B in AS computing and only 3 A Levels will hold me back at all. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In response to 1: by far the most important aspect of an application to Physics is your score on the PAT. A high PAT score will more than make up for a B at AS.

As for 2, I'm afraid I don't know, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Their standard offer is 3 a-levels and because all three of yours are their essential/preferred choices then it will not hold you back at all. Physics at Oxford is very competitive - this year I know people who had applied for physics and recieved an email, encouraging them to consider materials science due to the high competition. If you have a very good application and high PAT score however, I'm sure you will be invited for interview. Just focus on gaining the As this year and then preparing for the PAT as early as possible as there is some content on the syllabus that is not covered in physics a level (e.g. Phases of the moon) and you will therefore need to teach yourself.

I sat the PAT in November and have just recieved an offer for engineering at Oxford, so if you have any questions concerning the PAT or your application, please feel free to message me.
    As stated above, preparing for the PAT and achieving a high score in that will work very well in your favour and make up for the B.
    Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jackherbert077)
    I want to do physics at Oxford. I got 7 A*s at GCSE and am currently doing A-Levels in maths, further maths, physics and computing. The trouble is that computing is not going well because I am not good at the coursework, and I think that the highest grade I could get at AS would be a B. I can easily get As in the others, so I am not worried about those. I am planning to drop computing at the end of this year, but I am worried about Oxford.
    1) would AAAB at AS be enough for an interview, provided I scored well in the PAT exam and the rest of my application was good enough?
    2) are 3 A-Levels in physics, maths and further maths enough, or do I need 4 A Levels to be considered? I do a lot of extra reading around my subjects and am planning to strengthen my application in other areas.
    I am just wondering if a B in AS computing and only 3 A Levels will hold me back at all. Thanks
    If you get a good PAT score and you do well in terms of your year group at school, anything could happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for Cambridge, but the majority of Cambridge offer holders for science subjects will take 4 courses to A2, but if you really don't like it just drop it. It's unlikely that it will disadvantage your application enough to be a deciding factor on whether you get an offer.

Oh, and on your AS results day, make sure to calculate your average UMS % for your subjects. If you get 95%+ and have a strong application with everything else, you have a decent chance of getting an offer from Cambridge for Natural Sciences. Oxford doesn't ask for UMS and they focus a lot on GCSEs, and while yours are really good, most offer holders will have a bit more A*s than you. That's only if you really want to go to Oxbridge and you like both courses, though. If you much prefer Oxford uni or the Physics course, by all means apply there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.