Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

can someone explain to me how to work out the order of relation with respect to A and C? I know B is order one as you compare exp 1 and 2 (x4)
    i get confused when two reactants change at the same time

thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    B is order 1 if you look at exp 1 and 2. Multiplying B by 4 multiplies the RR by 4.
    A is order 2 because if you multiply A by two, the RR is multiplied by 4. For exp 1 and 3, B is multiplied by 8, so dividing the RR and B by 8, you see that dividing A by 2 divides the RR by 4.
    For C look at exp 3 and 4. A is constant so can be ignored. B and C are variable. (0.3/0.8)=0.375
    You can now multiply B in exp 3 by 0.375 and RR in exp 3 by 0.375, this gives
    0.1, 0.30, 0.40, 0.6 x 10-3
    From this you can work out the order with respect to C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    B is order 1 if you look at exp 1 and 2. Multiplying B by 4 multiplies the RR by 4.
    A is order 2 because if you multiply A by two, the RR is multiplied by 4. For exp 1 and 3, B is multiplied by 8, so dividing the RR and B by 8, you see that dividing A by 2 divides the RR by 4.
    For C look at exp 3 and 4. A is constant so can be ignored. B and C are variable. (0.3/0.8)=0.375
    You can now multiply B in exp 3 by 0.375 and RR in exp 3 by 0.375, this gives
    0.1, 0.30, 0.40, 0.6 x 10-3
    From this you can work out the order with respect to C.
    Thank you! I've worked out that C has 0 order (?)
    How do you know what is the constant? Is it always order 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alltimesarah)
    Thank you! I've worked out that C has 0 order (?)
    How do you know what is the constant? Is it always order 2?
    Yes I get A: 2, B: 1, C: 0.
    The rate constant has order 0 because it is a constant.
    The units of the rate constant are dm6mol-1s-1​.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Yes I get A: 2, B: 1, C: 0.
    The rate constant has order 0 because it is a constant.
    The units of the rate constant are dm6mol-1s-1​.
    The rate constant does not have an order, but if it did it would be 1 not 0 as any quantity raised to the power of 0 is 1 ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The rate constant does not have an order, but if it did it would be 1 not 0 as any quantity raised to the power of 0 is 1 ...
    Any constant has order 0. If it had order 1 that would imply that it changed with respect to another variable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Any constant has order 0. If it had order 1 that would imply that it changed with respect to another variable.
    If a constant has order zero then it must equal 1.

ReputationRep:
    If a constant has order zero then it must equal 1.
    Consider a polynomial. x2 has order 2, x is order 1, 1 is order 0, x-1 has order -1 and so on.
    Any constant can be considered a variable to the power of 0 multiplied by a coefficient.
    It could not be order 1 as this would mean it changes as the variable changes, which would have significant consequences for the rate equation.

This is all assuming constant temperature.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Consider a polynomial. x2 has order 2, x is order 1, 1 is order 0, x-1 has order -1 and so on.
    Any constant can be considered a variable to the power of 0 multiplied by a coefficient.
    It could not be order 1 as this would mean it changes as the variable changes, which would have significant consequences for the rate equation.

This is all assuming constant temperature.
    A variable to the power of 0 multiplied by a coefficient is just saying 1 x coefficient. The coefficient IS the constant!

It is meaningless to talk about order with respect to the rate constant.

ReputationRep:
    A variable to the power of 0 multiplied by a coefficient is just saying 1 x coefficient. The coefficient IS the constant!

It is meaningless to talk about order with respect to the rate constant.
    Any order n would mean that k = axn, where x is some variable. As the rate constant is always constant within the constraints of the question, n = 0, so the order is 0.

I think I see where you're coming from now. The order of the rate equation with respect to the rate constant is 1 but the order of the rate constant with respect to any other variable is 0. I think we were arguing over different things.

I do agree that it is pointless to talk about the order of the rate constant though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Any order n would mean that k = axn, where x is some variable. As the rate constant is always constant within the constraints of the question, n = 0, so the order is 0.

I think I see where you're coming from now. The order of the rate equation with respect to the rate constant is 1 but the order of the rate constant with respect to any other variable is 0. I think we were arguing over different things.

I do agree that it is pointless to talk about the order of the rate constant though.
    :shakehand:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.