Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide between Chemistry or English Literature at college and so I was just wondering if anyone that does AS level/A level English Literature could give me their opinion on it and how they find the course and the material e.g. prose/poetry/drama texts studied.

ReputationRep:
    I do both, and to be honest they are both really good subjects to do! English Literature is really interesting because on my specification we are studying the great gatsby, much ado, importance of being earnest and kite runner. The coursework aspect was surprisingly fun (although stressful) to write and if you like English and you enjoy reading then English Lit would be a good choice.

Chemistry is good too, but you have to ensure that it really interests you as a subject otherwise it will seem difficult and uninteresting !

Hope this helps

Xe

ReputationRep:
    I picked English Lit over chemistry and it's the best decision I've ever made! I think my course is OCR, and for AS we're studying The Handmaids tale, a Street Car named desire and the World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy for coursework and Jane Eyre and poetry by Emily Dickinson for the exam. Originally I wasn't going to take english because I only got a B at GCSE but for some reason I ended up taking Geography, Biology, chemistry and English and dropped chemistry within the first month because it was completely different to GCSE at I hated it. I've just done my mock and I didn't really revise that well and I still got a B overall for the exam, I'd say if you enjoy reading and are willing to write lots of drafts and learn poems and books off by heart go for it! The only bit I'm finding difficult at the moment is that on my exam board our AS exams are closed book so there's a lot of quote learning!!!

ReputationRep:
    I do English Literature and love it so much that I want to study it an University now. We began the course in year 12 with a creative reading coursework piece, which ultimately involved creative writing based on a stimulus text (your favorite book). We also wrote an essay for coursework on Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein which I found really interesting. Then we studied Broken Glass and poets Seamus Heaney and Owen Sheers for the exam, which I didn't enjoy so much as i'm not a fan of Heaney but due to the sheer volume of texts we studied for various aspects of this course it was not so much of an issue. This year we wrote coursework on war poems as well as Henry V, Shakespeare, and Regeneration by Barker. Our exam is on Blake and unseen poetry as well as Richard II, Shakespeare. I would recommend English Literature if you love the subject at GCSE but it all depends on your future aspirations. For example, if you wish to study sciences at University then English might not be so useful.

ReputationRep:
    It strongly depends on what you want to study at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon1305)
    I do both, and to be honest they are both really good subjects to do! English Literature is really interesting because on my specification we are studying the great gatsby, much ado, importance of being earnest and kite runner. The coursework aspect was surprisingly fun (although stressful) to write and if you like English and you enjoy reading then English Lit would be a good choice.

Chemistry is good too, but you have to ensure that it really interests you as a subject otherwise it will seem difficult and uninteresting !

Hope this helps

Xe
    Hey, which exam board are you on? And do you do a lot of creative writing and writing your own stories and other things or is it mainly analysing texts and things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samanthayates98)
    Hey, which exam board are you on? And do you do a lot of creative writing and writing your own stories and other things or is it mainly analysing texts and things?
    I know this wasn't meant for me but as a OCR English Lit student I might be able to give u a quick reply, you do no creative writing, it's all analysis and things like that, for Atleast for A2. If you're looking for creative writing and that type of thing maybe look at english language as I know they do quite a bit of that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samanthayates98)

Terribly sorry only saw this today!

For E.lit I'm on AQA, and it is primarily analysing texts. There is an opportunity to do a bit of creative writing during the coursework section of the course, where you write from the perspective of a character in the play/book you are reading. I stuck to the traditional essays though!

If you're looking to do lots of creative writing, you're probably better off doing E.language, because from what I know, you have to write your own stuff, as opposed to analyisng the narrative voices, or structures of literature pieces.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the late reply!

Xe

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.