Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lived in coldest city in the world. ask me anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lived for 2 years in Oymyakon, Russia.

In winter the temperatures go as cold as -50C.

Made ordinary things very hard to do, and going outside in the winter was a nightmare.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Did it snow in the summer? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    Did it snow in the summer? :sad:
    Not so much, thank God summers are decent, but in the winter it's terrible. I had to go for 5 minute walk to go to the loo.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ColdManiac)
    Not so much, thank God summers are decent, but in the winter it's terrible. I had to go for 5 minute walk to go to the loo.
    :lolwut:

In your house?

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

In your house?
    The ground is frozen so there is difficulty setting up indoor plumbing, so there is public style toilets that I used.

ReputationRep:
    Why is that? Was it an old house with no indoor toilet, or did the plumbing freeze or something?

How hard was it to heat the home? What temperature was the interior during the coldest time of year?

Was there ever a situation where your pee froze mid-stream? Serious question, don't know if you've ever peed in -20 to -50, and don't know if the body heat, salt and acidic nature of the pee would keep it liquid long enough not to freeze on the way out. I just cringe at the thought of it freezing just at the exit, it would be good for survival purposes to know what would happen in that situation. You just never know.

EDIT: Just noticed you answered some of the questions above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powpowpowpowpow)
    Why is that? Was it an old house with no indoor toilet, or did the plumbing freeze or something?

How hard was it to heat the home? What temperature was the interior during the coldest time of year?

Was there ever a situation where your pee froze mid-stream? Serious question, don't know if you've ever peed in -20 to -50, and don't know if the body heat, salt and acidic nature of the pee would keep it liquid long enough not to freeze on the way out. I just cringe at the thought of it freezing just at the exit, it would be good for survival purposes to know what would happen in that situation. You just never know.
    See above about the toilets.

When I pee it's like pouring boiling water due to big temperature difference of the pee and the temperature outside.

Indoor it's warmer, but you get used to staying warm at -10 at home as you know how -40 and -50 feels like.

ReputationRep:
    What did you wear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What made you want to stay there for two years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realunited)
    What did you wear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lots and lots of warm furry clothing and always a warm furry hat. and double socks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Procrastinate)
    What made you want to stay there for two years?
    My parents lived in a different part but were offered high salaries to work there as not many people can cope to live there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My parents lived in a different part but were offered high salaries to work there as not many people can cope to live there.
    What sort of economy does a city like that have? Why do people live in such a location permanently?

ReputationRep:
    How do you get into and out of the place?

Is there a nearby airport or something?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The ground is frozen so there is difficulty setting up indoor plumbing, so there is public style toilets that I used.
    Like cubicles outside? And everyone uses them? Isn't that gross though?

ReputationRep:
    Like cubicles outside? And everyone uses them? Isn't that gross though?
    all the germs died at -50

ReputationRep:
    Are the people there just depressed as hell?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by gen. AIDEED)
    all the germs died at -50
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What sort of economy does a city like that have? Why do people live in such a location permanently?
    It is because of the Soviet times some people moved there. The economy is ok but at the same time prone to things that normal economies wouldn't be such as transport issues (in Winter there are no planes to and from the place.) An airfield was built at time of WW2 for Siberia to Alaska route.

Some days in the winter can be as short as 3 hours, so that would have its toll on the economy. In summer its closer to 20 hours and around 5-15 degrees.

But things like reindeer hunting and ice fishing bring in some tourists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy from t'North)
    How do you get into and out of the place?

Is there a nearby airport or something?
    see above about airports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    Are the people there just depressed as hell?
    In winter life can be very limiting but otherwise the people are happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.