Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im due to sit STEP this summer. I didn't specify to the universities which one so its safe to say Ill be hedging my bets to do STEP 1. So I've been practicing and have gone through Step 1,2 and now progressed to STEP 3 which is quite hard.

My issue is not the actual questions, surprisingly I can do the questions... Its the TIME FRAME. I do not think I can answer 6 questions in 3 hours. It roughly takes me an hour ish to do 1!.. And I roughly have until june to perfect this.

Has anyone had/have this problem and how did they go about it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tiri)
    Im due to sit STEP this summer. I didn't specify to the universities which one so its safe to say Ill be hedging my bets to do STEP 1. So I've been practicing and have gone through Step 1,2 and now progressed to STEP 3 which is quite hard.

My issue is not the actual questions, surprisingly I can do the questions... Its the TIME FRAME. I do not think I can answer 6 questions in 3 hours. It roughly takes me an hour ish to do 1!.. And I roughly have until june to perfect this.

Have a look at this thread.

The OP will be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiri)

just keep on working ...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tiri)

I recommend you take STEP I and II - it will give you a better chance of securing the outcome you require. There probably isn't a lot of point tackling STEP III questions unless you have run out of material.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    With anything, you have to learn how to walk before you can run. You'll get quicker with tackling these types of questions and by the time you get to the exam you should be able to do more then an hour :yep:

Also, I echo Mr M's advice regarding doing STEP I and II, putting all your eggs in one basket can be a recipe for disaster

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiri)
    Thanks guys for the advice
    I wouldnt worry about time as of yet.
    What do you need in STEP? Normally 4 good answers get a 1 in STEP so an hour per question isnt that bad as of yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I wouldnt worry about time as of yet.
    What do you need in STEP? Normally 4 good answers get a 1 in STEP so an hour per question isnt that bad as of yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've heard that that advice doesn't really hold true for STEP I (maybe STEP II as well but I can't remember).

ie if a good answer was 15/20, 4 answers gives 60/120 which wouldn't be enough for a 1 for at least the past 10 years. Last year it was 63/120 for a 1, which is the closest its been for a while from what I can see.

I think 5 good answers is a safer bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    I've heard that that advice doesn't really hold true for STEP I (maybe STEP II as well but I can't remember).

ie if a good answer was 15/20, 4 answers gives 60/120 which wouldn't be enough for a 1 for at least the past 10 years. Last year it was 63/120 for a 1, which is the closest its been for a while from what I can see.

I think 5 good answers is a safer bet.
    I was just quoting what it said on the website. But yh more good answers =higher mark lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. Yeah I reckon if i focus over the next few months on taking STEP 1 I can do the 5 questions in the 3 hours.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.