Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the difference in someone being cheeky or being cocky give examples ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whats the difference in someone being cheeky or being cocky give examples ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 061194)
    Cheeky-is being disrespectful/bold,but in an amusing way

Arrogance-is showing or revealing an extravegant sense of your own importance, placing one paramount over others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big.jamjooray)
    Cheeky-is being disrespectful/bold,but in an amusing way

Arrogance-is showing or revealing an extravegant sense of your own importance, placing one paramount over others.
    And cockiness can fall into either category but generally used synonymous to cheeky.

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky: "impudent or irreverent, typically in an amusing way."
    Cocky: "conceited or confident in a bold or cheeky way."

It's one of those things you know when you see it. Cheeky implies a bit of harmless fun while cocky is kind of arrogant xx

ReputationRep:
    I am the smartest person in this class and I'm going to get the highest in the finals, much better than you idiots-:cocky

What is the cheeky version of this ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 061194)
    Why is this in relationships?

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky: pushing social boundaries, such as being impolite, for the sake of self amusement. If it wasn't self amusing, the person would just come off as an ass.

Cocky: Arrogant, and possibly a bit cheeky too. I would say a cocky person deliberately exaggerates their sense of self worth (even though they probably do think highly of their self) for their own self amusement. I personally associate an element of self deprication in someone being cocky. When I'm cocky about something, I'll act in a kind of characaturial way, so that some people will get pissed off and others will find it kind of funny.

ReputationRep:
    Cheeky is somewhat witty. Cocky is just being a prick unless its intentional which is ok as a joke

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.