Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm getting paid to do nothing (literally). What do I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I know this is going to sound bizarre but I've been getting paid a weekly wage by an agency despite having done no work for 3 weeks.

I signed up for a employment agency to do work at the warehouse of a well known UK company. I desperately needed the money for college but I was "laid off" after 3 days because a supervisor wasn't happy with me for whatever reason. Apparently he was unpopular with the full-time staff, I can see why. He initially said, to my face, I would get 12 trial weeks to get up to speed...I tried ringing the agency, they weren't interested either.
    Anyway, I checked my account last night and, to my surprise, £215 had been deposited into my account. I checked to see who it was and it came from the agency. And they've been "paying" me for the last 3 weeks! In fact, they have paid off my ****ing overdraft! XD

So, I need to know, if the agency rings me up asking for their money back what are my options? I am not interested in giving them their money back; an administrative error is not my fault or problem. Can they threaten me with legal action? Or can I safely fob them off the same way they did to me...?

ReputationRep:
    Silly buggers.

They will try to go after you to return the money.

As it is paid in to the account, get it out. What you haven't got, they can't have. That doesn't mean spend it, it just means put it somewhere else.

Then plead ignorant, naive student: "not my fault", "the warehouse said they'd call me", "I thought they said something about being on call?", "I've spent it", whatever else you can think of. Are you too proud to cry on demand?

Legally, the above advice is probably very wrong. But you might, just might, get away with it.

And if that teaches a crap employment agency a lesson, good. They're all parasitic shysters anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i think they would find out, and pass it onto a legal team. thing is if something is done by human error they have a right to recover it. they sound like ba5tards tho, wish you could keep the money. have you posted this question on moneysavingexpert forum? they have more insight in employment and legal stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Silly buggers.

They will try to go after you to return the money.

As it is paid in to the account, get it out. What you haven't got, they can't have. That doesn't mean spend it, it just means put it somewhere else.

Then plead ignorant, naive student: "not my fault", "the warehouse said they'd call me", "I thought they said something about being on call?", "I've spent it", whatever else you can think of. Are you too proud to cry on demand?

Legally, the above advice is probably very wrong. But you might, just might, get away with it.

And if that teaches a crap employment agency a lesson, good. They're all parasitic shysters anyway.
    That is actually my favourite on here so far, so have a +1 from me!

ReputationRep:
    it is theft.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    why would you want to make yourself a thief for £225?
    It's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    why would you want to make yourself a thief for £225?
    It's not worth it.
    It's not thievery if you just stand there while someone stuffs money in your pockets.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BritishBlu£)
    It's not thievery if you just stand there while someone stuffs money in your pockets.
    But that's not what's happened is it.
    Do they know they've done this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.