Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I wish to become an artist watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have always (yes, really) wanted to be an artist in some way: a writer or musician. However, no one seems to be supportive of this, so should I simply accept my offers for university this year?

ReputationRep:
    It might be because you have not been clear in your goals. A "writer or a musician" - can you better describe what you want? You might find if you can come up with a plan, or at least a goal (what sort of writing? What sort of music?) then people may be more supportive because they will know how to help.

ReputationRep:
    Money first. Passion later.

ReputationRep:
    Well... I'd say go for it but expect failure and have a plan B.

ReputationRep:
    Every city needs somebody to scrawl in chalk on the pavements.

ReputationRep:
    What were your offers for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abramovic)
    I have always (yes, really) wanted to be an artist in some way: a writer or musician. However, no one seems to be supportive of this, so should I simply accept my offers for university this year?
    Are you a good musician and/or are you a good writer? That might be the issue

ReputationRep:
    It's not up to anyone else, it's you that takes the risk - you either don't get a break and spend your life poor, or you manage to get the right opportunity and end up minted. Are you happy with a career in those fields if it means you are not paid very well? That's the real test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    Are you a good musician and/or are you a good writer? That might be the issue
    My language teachers always tell me I write well and my friends as well. I've also been quite quick at learning instruments in the past. That's what others say though, because I hate my writing and music.

(Original post by turn-to-page394)
    What were your offers for?
    Psychology (if you're asking for the subject).

ReputationRep:
    My language teachers always tell me I write good
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    :rolleyes:
    I can't speak for myself, so I only tell others their views. Who else could I ask for feedback excluding my teachers and friends?

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for myself, so I only tell others their views. Who else could I ask for feedback excluding my teachers and friends?
    If you want it, if you are passionate, if you believe in yourself, then never let anyone stand in your way.

If unsure, then some time at uni or college studying the subject can only be enjoyable and informative and helpful.

If the worst comes to the worst, you could always become an art critic or run an art gallery or work in the music industry so you are close to what you enjoy. By getting related qualifications, you can only make that more rewarding and likely.

ReputationRep:
    start creating then

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Simes' eye roll was because you'd taken the opinion of your teachers, but because you said you "write good", when you should be saying you "write well", suggesting that you actually don't write good/well.

Your dreams are not taken seriously because you're too vague. You seem to want to chase the title of 'writer' or 'musician' etc rather than believing this particular song you'd written is great or you have a plot for a series of novels you'd love to become successful. I wouldn't chase those dreams by not going to university. Your skills won't magically develop on their own, go to university and chase those dreams on the side or after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    If you want it, if you are passionate, if you believe in yourself, then never let anyone stand in your way.

If unsure, then some time at uni or college studying the subject can only be enjoyable and informative and helpful.

If the worst comes to the worst, you could always become an art critic or run an art gallery or work in the music industry so you are close to what you enjoy. By getting related qualifications, you can only make that more rewarding and likely.
    Thank you for your advice.

(Original post by sliceofcake)
    I don't think Simes' eye roll was because you'd taken the opinion of your teachers, but because you said you "write good", when you should be saying you "write well", suggesting that you actually don't write good/well.

Your dreams are not taken seriously because you're too vague. You seem to want to chase the title of 'writer' or 'musician' etc rather than believing this particular song you'd written is great or you have a plot for a series of novels you'd love to become successful. I wouldn't chase those dreams by not going to university. Your skills won't magically develop on their own, go to university and chase those dreams on the side or after graduation.
    Oh, oops. English isn't my mother tongue, though. Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:

Psychology (if you're asking for the subject).
    Yeah, I was. Sorry, bit vague...

Why can't you study and do 'artistic' stuff on the side? Plenty of 'artists' have gone to amazing universities etc...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.