Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I currently live in Headingley in Leeds, but I recently got a job near Sheffield and can't deal with the commute any more!

I'm looking to relocate to the Sheffield area and basically looking for the Headingley of Sheffield, but have no idea where to start looking. Any advice?!

I am from leeds. Leeds is amazing for shopping and quite a reasonable size. Lots of places to eat and drink too. It used to be a bit rubbish but now it constantly improving.
    •  Official Rep

Official Rep
    (Original post by 3Delephant)
    I currently live in Headingley in Leeds, but I recently got a job near Sheffield and can't deal with the commute any more!

I'm looking to relocate to the Sheffield area and basically looking for the Headingley of Sheffield, but have no idea where to start looking. Any advice?!

I'm not sure we have an area that's quite equivalent to Headingley (the closest would probably be the Hunters Bar/ Eccelsall Road/ Sharrowvale Road area) but here's a run down of all the main areas close to the city centre that tend to have quite a young/student vibe. They're all really nice (I've lived in the majority of them so I can vouch for this!), and Sheffield has the advantage of being more compact than Leeds so you can pretty much get everywhere you want without too much of a walk. If you tell me where your job is based I can tell you more about transport links and stuff.

Hope this helps anyway,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield

Broomhill - a great student area about 30-40 minute walk away from the city centre (or you can take the 120 bus). There's everything you need here, including three supermarkets, several independent shops, a butchers, a greengrocer, a couple of hairdressers, a few takeaways, plenty of cafes and restaurants and a couple of really nice pubs. It's en route to Endcliffe and Ranmoor (main university accommodation), so it's a very popular area for students.

Crookesmoor - closer to town (20-30 minute walk, 95 bus) and popular with second and third year students as it's close to the university. A good range of shops located on the main street of Barber Road, close to the Goodwin Sports Centre (which is the University owned sports centre, comprising of leisure facilities, a gym, a swimming pool and the Matrix bouldering wall) and close to three nice green spaces - Crookes Valley park, Western Park and the Ponderosa. You'd also be close to the amazing Beanies greengrocer and health food shop. Less of a "high-street" vibe to Broomhill as most of the shops are based off a main road, but there's a couple of decent pubs (Hallamshire Hotel and the Closed Shop) as you head up into Crookes.

Crookes - slightly further away than Crookesmoor, but not much, probably the most popular student area in Sheffield. There is a very good range of shops and amenities on Crookes High Street (very similar to those you have in Broomhill, although Broomhill is only a 10-15 walk away anyway, depending on where you live), as well as the lovely Hercule cafe and chocolate shop and several good pubs and restaurants. The 52 bus runs into town, every three minutes or so at peak times.

Walkley - this area tends to be popular with final year/ postgrad students as well as families and young professionals (it's where I live currently). It's a little further out, although not much: town is still only a 50 minute walk or the 95 bus runs every ten minutes, which takes about 15 minutes. If you live near the bottom of the hill, you can also walk down to Langsett Road and get the tram. The properties tend to be slightly cheaper to rent here than in Crookes as it's less popular with students. It's a lovely residential area, with a local super market and an excellent farm shop and butchers located on the high street, as well as several cafes and an artisan bakers. There's a couple of large supermarkets a short walk away, or there's also a pretty decent Asda on the high street. We've also got our own little library.

Kelham Island - Really close to town despite what people seem to think - it's about a 15 minute walk to the Cathedral in the city centre (or else you can get the tram). It's the old industrial quarter and has become a really up and coming ahead in the past few years with loads of really nice flats in the renovated factories. Unfortunately, this does mean rent prices tend to be a bit higher than in other areas. No shops as such (there's a Tesco express), but there is several nice cafes and restaurants, as well as three amazing pubs (Kelham Island Tavern has won pub of the year I don't know how many times). There's also the Kelham Island museum which is pretty cool. Really nice identity and vibe.

The Groves - technically part of Broomhall, the Groves is a really lovely area located close to the Sheffield Botanical Gardens. It's close to Ecclesall Road, which is a really bustling, vibrant street full of independent shops and restaurants (you can get a bus from here into the city centre really easily too - all the 80s). Less students tend to live down this way (I'm not sure why), but it's a great area to live in if you can find a place.

Hunters Bar/ Sharrowvale - Very close to Eccelsall Road and also Sharrow Road, which is full of interesting little shops, galleries and restaurants. Couple of great pubs, plus all the bars and restaurants of Eccy Road. Plenty of accommodation and excellent transport routes to the city centre (again, all the 80s). You're also close to the amazing Endcliffe park, through which you can walk through right out in the Peak District National Park.

Nether Edge - very leafy and green, with some lovely houses. Again you'd be close to Ecclesall Road and the equally lovely Sharrowvale Road, but it's a bit further from town. Quieter and really popular with families.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.