Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    A few days ago my friends and I looked at a small flat which was advertised as £375 per person a month inc bills.

The average prices without bills is anywhere from £300-350 a month for a 3 bed place.

So 375 seems reasonable with bills. So we talked to the estate agent about our interest and maybe putting an offer in and we will call him back. Thinking of 365 as an offer?

The next day we check online and they have put the advertised price up to £390. What...??!!

What can we do here? 390 is far too much for a place like this even for the bills. I should add this flat is above a commercial business, with those additional cost I feel like we'll be paying the bills for both the flat and the small business downstairs.

Any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    call him back with your offer! these things are usually flexible to a point, maybe they knew you were interested, put a higher price up hoping that a new group would come in with a bigger offer?

ReputationRep:
    At the initial advertised price, they probably have several people interested. The chances are that it was advertised low to attract interest and now they can hike the price to whatever the highest bidder is prepared to offer.

You have a budget and you know what you can afford. Make the offer you're prepared to pay and that you think the place is worth. If they turn it down, walk away. It isn't what you were led to believe. Don't be duped into a bidding war and end up paying over the odds for it. I suspect that's what the agent is intending.

It doesn't indicate that they're going to make good or ethical landlords. Might be best avoided anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.