Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I feeling really upset right now so don't won't to go too much into it but am just seeking some reassurance or something. It's just hit me that I have little or no respect for my father. I feel really horrible saying it and I've done things I'm not proud of as a result of this lack of respect. I don't know the exact reason why I just don't respect him but these are just a few ideas as to why that have been going through my head:

He doesn't know how to say my name properly
    He has worked/lived abroad for more most of my life (saw him 7 weeks a year)
    He cheated on my mum at least twice whilst abroad (married 25 years 3, including one seriously mentally ill, kids)
    He doesn't know my birthday (it was last week)
    He is pushover and never stands up for my mum
    He's sexist (much prefers my private school drop out brother than me)
    Didn't seem bothered about my safety when my other, mentally ill, brother attacked me with a knife just before Christmas
    He drinks A LOT
    Wasted £10000s on useless junk so now we have very little savings

He recently lost his job so now lives at home. It's been a difficult adjustment because I haven't lived with him permanently since I was very young. I feel horrible for saying I dont respect him especially when I remember all the things he has actually done for me but I just can't help it. I don't know what to do or why I'm even posting this but it makes me feel slightly better for letting it out. Thx

no seriously, it's completely understandable. I have been in a similar situation I mean my Dad worked abroad now he works from home and he loves us and stuff but he's done some pretty bad things and i still feel a bit awkward around him i guess and i feel bad but i just dont leave my room much
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.