Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lied about having a bf to a work colleague watch

I work with this guy and he's very flirty and kept asking me if I had a boyfriend when I went into work sometimes. He also asked me out but I declined, because he's way older than me.

Then yesterday I was in work and he asked if I had a boyfriend yet and I said 'yeah' and made up this lie about the boyfriend when he asked me questions about him.

Now what should I do if he keeps asking me questions? what if he finds out I'm lying?

ReputationRep:
    If you lie, expect bad things to happen to you.
    You should've just said "Look, I know you're interested in me but I wish to remain single."

ReputationRep:
    "I have a boyfriend"= not interested. Its the bro code. I hope he gets it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    If you lie, expect bad things to happen to you.
    You should've just said "Look, I know you're interested in me but I wish to remain single."
    Not really. Lots of girls use the "I have a boyfriend" excuse, simply because it's seen as more polite and is gonna cause less hassle. The guy should learn to stop at that.

If he keeps asking you, just straight up confront him and tell him it's inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it - he probably won't keeping asking questions about it. If worst comes to worst just tell him that you're no longer together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I work with this guy and he's very flirty and kept asking me if I had a boyfriend when I went into work sometimes. He also asked me out but I declined, because he's way older than me.

Then yesterday I was in work and he asked if I had a boyfriend yet and I said 'yeah' and made up this lie about the boyfriend when he asked me questions about him.

Now what should I do if he keeps asking me questions? what if he finds out I'm lying?
    Tell him to **** off or report him for harassment. You've made it clear that you're not interested, he needs to back off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Tell him to **** off or report him for harassment. You've made it clear that you're not interested, he needs to back off.
    Wtf, how is that harassment -_-

OP hasn't told him she's not interested. He hasn't even done anything wrong >.>

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you're fine! I was at first a bit worried that you had a BF and denied it (by the thread title) but in this situation don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    you did the right thing, thirsty guy wont back the **** up after that then report him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    Wtf, how is that harassment -_-

OP hasn't told him she's not interested. He hasn't even done anything wrong >.>
    If you ask a girl out and she declines, respect her decision. If she tells you she has a boyfriend (in the same vein) she wants you to go away, not interrogate her about him. This guy sounds like a lecherous creep who needs to be told where to go.

ReputationRep:
    IDK why this bothers you that you lied to him, so what that he finds out, it's your personal life. You don't even need to explain anything to him. He should take a hint that you're not interested in him. Keep an eye on him, some guys cannot accept rejection and do drastic things (I wish what I say is just an exaggeration but wasn't there in news about a guy who shot ppl cause some girls rejected him?...), mad world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Yep. A massacre in Washington state that was
    This still gives me the chills. For a human being to stoop this low just because of this, just mental (like what is going on in France now)... It's scary how many messed up individuals you pass by every single day...

ReputationRep:
    To stop the lie in its tracks just tell him that you broke up with eachother & you're sad. So he wont keep asking you about the guy obvs. If he tries to hit on you again say you're not interested in dating or meeting someone. Hopefully he would get the hint and stop being a creep because the "I have a boyfriend" line should have shut him down already.

ReputationRep:
    Say that you broke up now but you dont want to rush into anything else at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    I hate that the state of the world is such that the only thing that will stop a guy pursuing a girl is if she invokes the threat of another man. Sadly often just saying 'no' is not enough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guys if you haven't got anything helpful to post then please do not post in the thread, let's keep this sensible and on topic please, thanks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.