Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I work a white collar job where I wear suits to work every day. Most of my formal shirt collection originates from a little over 2 years ago when I started this job. I wear these shirts usually once a week for most weeks (washing them on the weekends).

I've purchased mid range shirts generally, from Marks and Spencer in the 15-30 pound range. Nothing too fancy but not the very cheapest stuff either.

Over time these shirts aren't quite as nice as they used to be: despite constant washing the stains on the collar fold as well as the armpits have been becoming worse.

I accept that nothing lasts forever and most things will have to be replaced after a while so I was wondering how often would one generally replace a formal shirt with a newer one? I don't want to waste money on the one hand but on the other, these shirts aren't going to drive me bankrupt either.

ReputationRep:
    The stains should be removable. Try a biological stain remover.

I only buy 100% cotton white shirts (polycotton makes me sweat, itch and gets smelly) so they can cope with a 60° wash and I don't get stains.

I decided years ago to buy decent work shirts so I spend about £60 on them. I have 15 and they get rotated daily. I work full-time and they probably last about ten years, at a guess. 10 years x 48 working weeks x 5 days ÷ 15 shirts = 160 wear, wash, iron cycles.

I find the points of the collars go first.

(Double check, 2 casual cotton shirts per weekend, about 10 casual shirts, some about 10 years old and showing it, so casuals last about 8 years. 8 years x 52 weekends x 2 days ÷ 10 shirts = 80 wear, wash, iron cycles. So my cheaper 100% cotton casual shirts last half as long, but I am harder wearing on them too.)

About 20 years ago I bought some cheap M&S shirts and a cheap M&S greatcoat when I was skint. They lasted about 8 cycles before buttons were falling off, the thread coming out of the seams and the collar and cuffs showing wear. What a rip-off. The greatcoat lasted one winter. The replacement came from a posh Edinburgh department store and cost, I think £160. I am still wearing it in the winter.

In my experience, expensive, good quality, non-designer, clothes from old and reputable outlets, work out cheaper. If you have the capital to invest...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.