The Student Room Group

Order of reaction question

I have been set a question about orders of reaction on an experiment I carried out. Although I am a little confused. The question is:

How is the rate of reaction of bromine with the ketone apparent in an observable sense
in the first stage of this preparation? What order of reaction would you ascribe to the
bromination of acetophenone?

The Ketone being acetophenone

Thanks in advance
Original post by dh1995
I have been set a question about orders of reaction on an experiment I carried out. Although I am a little confused. The question is:

How is the rate of reaction of bromine with the ketone apparent in an observable sense
in the first stage of this preparation? What order of reaction would you ascribe to the
bromination of acetophenone?

The Ketone being acetophenone

Thanks in advance

Observable in the sense that brown colouration of the solution should gradually disappear.

Ist step in the bromonation will be the enolisation which should be second order (1st order for both the acetophenone and base) as it requires deprotonation of the acetophenone with a base.
Reply 2
Original post by JMaydom
Observable in the sense that brown colouration of the solution should gradually disappear.

Ist step in the bromonation will be the enolisation which should be second order (1st order for both the acetophenone and base) as it requires deprotonation of the acetophenone with a base.

I had to look up what enolisation was. So I would have first added a base before the bromine? To form the enol from the ketone?
Original post by dh1995
I had to look up what enolisation was. So I would have first added a base before the bromine? To form the enol from the ketone?

Not sure about what order you would put them in for a reaction. Go look that up.

I mean 1st as in the first step in the mechanism.

Quick Reply

Latest