Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

So I've just been offered a place on the MSc Speech and Language Therapy (Pre-Registration) course starting in August 2015, and I'm really excited

I'm going to give the university a call on Monday but before then I was hoping I might get some of my questions answered here, so I can continue with a little more research. So if anyone can help me with my questions, even just one, I would be very grateful. Most of it's about accommodation...

1. If I were to apply for university accommodation, how does it work for PGs? Is it a random placement of PGs with UGs or does the university endeavour to create flats of students according to what type of degree they are studying for? It's not so much that I have an issue with UGs! I just feel like I've had my fun and am not really up to... well felt really sorry for the mature student who was bunged in with the 18 year olds and had to deal with all the drama that comes with moving away from home for the first time! At the very least would someone in my position be likely to be near people who are at the same stage of life?

2. My course starts in August - is that something that can be taken into account if/when I come to apply for university accommodation, can that be taken into consideration, to add an extra month on before the normal rent time starts?

3. If I do end up living in a privately rented property, are there any good websites where I could meet students from Edinburgh universities in order to live/househunt with? At my last uni, there were always people who had a house and were looking for extra people to fell the rooms (people pulling out and whatnot), is that the same here?

4. If renting privately, is it common for a QMU student to live in Edinburgh, rather than Musselburgh?

5. In your personal opinion, would you suggest to a PG student to live on campus in first year and then branch out?

6. Is there a bus pass system, for travelling to/from Edinburgh? It says somewhere that you can get unlimited travel for £3.50/day, but could I buy a pass for a year and leave it at that? Also how much would a return train fare from Musselburgh to Edinburgh be? £3.20 according to National Rail?

Well, that's enough to be getting on with for now! Again, thank you for helping me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snikle)
    Hello!

So I've just been offered a place on the MSc Speech and Language Therapy (Pre-Registration) course starting in August 2015, and I'm really excited

I'm going to give the university a call on Monday but before then I was hoping I might get some of my questions answered here, so I can continue with a little more research. So if anyone can help me with my questions, even just one, I would be very grateful. Most of it's about accommodation...

1. If I were to apply for university accommodation, how does it work for PGs? Is it a random placement of PGs with UGs or does the university endeavour to create flats of students according to what type of degree they are studying for? It's not so much that I have an issue with UGs! I just feel like I've had my fun and am not really up to... well felt really sorry for the mature student who was bunged in with the 18 year olds and had to deal with all the drama that comes with moving away from home for the first time! At the very least would someone in my position be likely to be near people who are at the same stage of life?

2. My course starts in August - is that something that can be taken into account if/when I come to apply for university accommodation, can that be taken into consideration, to add an extra month on before the normal rent time starts?

3. If I do end up living in a privately rented property, are there any good websites where I could meet students from Edinburgh universities in order to live/househunt with? At my last uni, there were always people who had a house and were looking for extra people to fell the rooms (people pulling out and whatnot), is that the same here?

4. If renting privately, is it common for a QMU student to live in Edinburgh, rather than Musselburgh?

5. In your personal opinion, would you suggest to a PG student to live on campus in first year and then branch out?

6. Is there a bus pass system, for travelling to/from Edinburgh? It says somewhere that you can get unlimited travel for £3.50/day, but could I buy a pass for a year and leave it at that? Also how much would a return train fare from Musselburgh to Edinburgh be? £3.20 according to National Rail?

Well, that's enough to be getting on with for now! Again, thank you for helping me out
    I can really only help you with question 6 as I live in Musselburgh but am only at school. It would be a better idea to buy a ridacard for lothian buses (find out more at www.lothianbuses.com) and a return fare from Edinburgh Waverley to Musselburgh is £3.20. Hope this helps somewhat.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello!

Hi there! You may have had your questions answered by now, but if you want any further information give me a call and I'd be happy to help! Call 01314740000 and ask for 'Recruitment', I'm Charlotte
    Charlotte (Official TSR QMU Rep)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both - I'll give the university (you?) a call tomorrow ...if I'm awake enough, that is, got a waking overnight care shift tonight!

ReputationRep:
    So I've tried numerous times in the past few weeks to get through.. (attempting different times of day each time) and after the switchboard puts my through it rings for an age then either hangs up or lets me leave a voicemail message

Anyone willing to answer my questions on here?

ReputationRep:
    So I've tried numerous times in the past few weeks to get through.. (attempting different times of day each time) and after the switchboard puts my through it rings for an age then either hangs up or lets me leave a voicemail message

Anyone willing to answer my questions on here?
    Hi there - sorry to hear you've not managed to get through! I'll have to check if there are any issues with our department lines, hope we've not missed many calls!! Here are some of my suggestions:

1 - On-campus we will try to keep PG students together in one of the Blocks (usually at the far end!), but it is random allocation so you would be mixed with different subject areas etc. We just try to keep the same level of study together. You can list preferences in the application form for accommodation though, and they will try their best to meet all specifications.

2 - There are earlier entry dates available (as we have students each year in your position!) but you should check with accommodation in advance to notify them of that. It may be they can offer you a room but you may have to move before term starts - it depends where the summer lets are booked into and when they depart. The accommodation office can advise better here though.

3 - You will find people advertising on many websites etc. or posters around. Sites like studentrooms, spareroom etc. (or even gumtree) will show you a variety of options. Watch the costs though, bills etc. are usually extra and can add significant amounts to rent. Check out the qmusu website as they have some handy guides for looking at private lets and knowing your rights as a tenant etc.

4 - There are a mix of people in Edinburgh or Musselburgh, depends on personal preference. Musselburgh is quieter, so for final year or PG students this can be preferable! But Edinburgh obviously has the benefits of the city next to you, just depends what you're looking for. Either way, you're a short journey to the campus/city so can access both regardless of where you stay.

5 - As above, it depends on your preference. If you are new to Edinburgh then some prefer to stay on campus first then look at where they may like to live. But as a PG student you may be better accustomed to living on your own so may like to branch out straight away. Again, look at the sites for rooms to get an idea of what's on offer. There are letting agencies around too which could also be a good starting point on a search.

6 - You can get a Ridacard as mentioned in a comment above. This is an annual cost, or you can buy 4-weekly cards and top them up. The annual card charge works out less than £2 a day unlimited bus/tram travel in the city but your train fare isn't in that. If you're looking at train travel there can be discount cards you can get from Scotrail (but conditions apply for journeys) so check out their website for details.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! Do let me know if you have any more I can help with
    Charlotte (Official QMU TSR Rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh)
    Hi there - sorry to hear you've not managed to get through! I'll have to check if there are any issues with our department lines, hope we've not missed many calls!! Here are some of my suggestions:

1 - On-campus we will try to keep PG students together in one of the Blocks (usually at the far end!), but it is random allocation so you would be mixed with different subject areas etc. We just try to keep the same level of study together. You can list preferences in the application form for accommodation though, and they will try their best to meet all specifications.

2 - There are earlier entry dates available (as we have students each year in your position!) but you should check with accommodation in advance to notify them of that. It may be they can offer you a room but you may have to move before term starts - it depends where the summer lets are booked into and when they depart. The accommodation office can advise better here though.

3 - You will find people advertising on many websites etc. or posters around. Sites like studentrooms, spareroom etc. (or even gumtree) will show you a variety of options. Watch the costs though, bills etc. are usually extra and can add significant amounts to rent. Check out the qmusu website as they have some handy guides for looking at private lets and knowing your rights as a tenant etc.

4 - There are a mix of people in Edinburgh or Musselburgh, depends on personal preference. Musselburgh is quieter, so for final year or PG students this can be preferable! But Edinburgh obviously has the benefits of the city next to you, just depends what you're looking for. Either way, you're a short journey to the campus/city so can access both regardless of where you stay.

5 - As above, it depends on your preference. If you are new to Edinburgh then some prefer to stay on campus first then look at where they may like to live. But as a PG student you may be better accustomed to living on your own so may like to branch out straight away. Again, look at the sites for rooms to get an idea of what's on offer. There are letting agencies around too which could also be a good starting point on a search.

6 - You can get a Ridacard as mentioned in a comment above. This is an annual cost, or you can buy 4-weekly cards and top them up. The annual card charge works out less than £2 a day unlimited bus/tram travel in the city but your train fare isn't in that. If you're looking at train travel there can be discount cards you can get from Scotrail (but conditions apply for journeys) so check out their website for details.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! Do let me know if you have any more I can help with
    What is the course start date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangeoranges)
    What is the course start date?
    In 2015 the start date will be the 18th August. The course will always commence in the 3rd week of August, and details about your first week induction events will be sent in the summer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.