Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lately i have seriously been thinking about dropping out of university. I took a gap year because sixth form had stressed me out way too much and given be anxiety, I then did retail work for a year before i moved out for uni.

Basically: i hate it. I don't know why i decided to return to education after sixth form stressed me out so much but i don't think education is for me, even though i thought i liked the course. I really don't like the course, it's really not what i want to do anymore, i feel like there are no job prospects and it just seems pointless. I feel miserable, i have no friends and everyone on my course is really horrible to me.

The only problem is: i really love this city, and i'd really love to stay here and get a job if i can but i have no idea how i'd do that because i'd be kicked out of my housing as soon as i choose to drop out, which means i'd be homeless. Would it work if i found a cheap place to live then applied for housing benefits while i look for a job?

Also, about the maintenance loans/grants, how much of this will i have to pay back? and i read somewhere that i will have to pay it back immediately, but all my loan for this term has already been taken for my rent for this term - my student finance is really low so i'm living on savings, and i'd only be able to pay this back when i get a job.

any advice would be helpful - i feel like i really can't carry on this course anymore.

ReputationRep:
    You're not in Uni accommodation are you? If not I don't see why you'd be "kicked out"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    You're not in Uni accommodation are you? If not I don't see why you'd be "kicked out"?
    it's the policy with the student lettings agents i'm at - if you want to drop out you have to tell them asap so they can find another tenant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by penguin27)
    it's the policy with the student lettings agents i'm at - if you want to drop out you have to tell them asap so they can find another tenant.
    In this case, you'd be il-advised to drop out of university at this point due to finances and housing issues.

I'd suggest that you don't say anything to your landlord until you've secured a job and can move out yourself. Do not leave the course at uni until you've got that job. Being at uni in this case buys you time.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.