The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

I've just got back from the post offer day, I'm a prospective English lit student at St Chads. Whilst I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to firm it, it was such a good experience and the college is just amazing. I would definitely look forward to going to Durham in October!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Just got rejected for maths 😢
Original post by AA10743
Just got rejected for maths 😢

If it makes you feel any better they told us today that this year out of 1400 maths applicants they only gave out 600 offers for 150 places, meaning that less than half were successful, so you most certainly aren't alone. I'm very sorry about it especially seeing as they dragged it out so long and gave you false hope. I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you do go. Remember the offers you hold don't necessarily denote your true academic potential, it's just what some admissions tutor thinks ie an opinion not a fact. Best of luck for the future.
Still waiting to hear back! This is driving me insane..
Reply 2264
Original post by TelAviv
Aside from a genuine medical reason, there is no way to change your college.

There is, however, a theory that if you put Durham as your insurance and the college you were allocated is full, you will be put it another college - potentially one you prefer to St Aidans.

I would definitely not recommend this as it's only a theory and even if it does work, you risk being reallocated to a Stockton college where you'll have to travel to Durham every day.
Only consider this if you're 100% certain you can't cope with St Aidans and still want to go to Durham over your other choices.

It's not a 'theory' - it is fact that 'near miss' applicants who are accepted and students who come accepting an insurance place MAY get placed at other colleges, however:

If you place Durham as your insurance then you will only be going there if you fail to meet the conditions of your firm choice and meet the conditional offer given to you by Durham (assuming it was lower). If you fail to meet the conditions of your firm choice they may still accept you - and you have no control over that!

Even if by failing to meet your firm offer and being rejected by them; meeting your Durham offer or being close enough that you are taken as a 'near miss' - not as common at Durham as many other unis - they would still try and place you at St Aidans first.

There would be no risk of being on the Stockton campus and travelling - they would always allocate a Durham college for a Durham course.

Even though this 'theory' is based on fact, it is no kind of plan.
Reply 2265
Original post by leavingthecity
Is anyone here waiting for a foundation year decision ?????
i received an unconditional offer for law with foundation two days ago
Original post by Nnekaa
i received an unconditional offer for law with foundation two days ago

I'm still waiting!
Reply 2267
Original post by leavingthecity
I'm still waiting!
I wish you all the best:smile:
Original post by Nnekaa
I wish you all the best:smile:

Thank you!
I have an offer for Classics- how soon did everyone hear about their college allocations?
Original post by Euphrosyne.
I have an offer for Classics- how soon did everyone hear about their college allocations?

I got mine about a week after I got my offer, but that may be because I got an offer just before they started handing out college allocations so I'd expect you'll hear within the week! Out of interest which college have you applied to? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Out of curiosity for those assigned to collingwood college, would it be helpful to have a facebook group for this years applicants? Get to know people before you go?
Original post by kilworth94
Out of curiosity for those assigned to collingwood college, would it be helpful to have a facebook group for this years applicants? Get to know people before you go?

We have a groupchat on fb already☺️
Original post by Pauli14
We have a groupchat on fb already☺️

Well..I'm slow aha
Hey guys, is there a Facebook group/group chat for people assigned to Butler?
In light of Durham being my easier offer and the course options being more restrictive, I have chosen it as my insurance and have been allocated to St Aidans - which is actually a better result than I anticipated! :smile: Very pleased!
Original post by hannahrob97
I got mine about a week after I got my offer, but that may be because I got an offer just before they started handing out college allocations so I'd expect you'll hear within the week! Out of interest which college have you applied to? ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for Castle so I'm not expecting to get it. I heard last Friday and I'm still yet to hear about my college. Is that weird?
Original post by Euphrosyne.
I applied for Castle so I'm not expecting to get it. I heard last Friday and I'm still yet to hear about my college. Is that weird?

No, they say expect to hear in a couple of weeks - I waited 10 days after I received my offer. Don't worry about not having heard until it's been 2 weeks :biggrin:
Should I take my History offer at Durham (University College) or UCL? Any opinions would be appreciated, really stuck!
Anyone know what the deal is with the 'referral scheme'? A couple of people have mentioned it to me as some sort of second chance for rejected applicants, and I'd be interested in hearing about it before my anticipated rejection...

Quick Reply

Latest