2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

any Hatfield hopefuls? :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Offer for physics Mphys A*A*A came through 16:45
I got an offer for sociology this afternoon!
Reply 883
Original post by azafran
Anyone heard back from Liberal Arts (Combined Honours in Arts) and/or languages? (American applicant)

Heya I'm completely new to this thread but I just received an offer from Durham to do Liberal Arts today! Are you doing AP?
Original post by Patrick2810
Offer for physics Mphys A*A*A came through 16:45

Congrats! What were your UMS?
Any Ancient History applicants?
Original post by TomCastles
Congrats! What were your UMS?

Physics module1: Mechanics, 69, 90
Physics module2: Electrons, Waves & Photons, 150, 150
Physics module3: Prctcl Skills in Physics 1, 58, 60

Maths module1: Core Mathematics 1, 92, 100
Maths module2: Core Mathematics 2, 97, 100
Maths module3: Statistics , 99, 100

I'm sure you're familiar with the layout :smile: :smile: how were your UMS scores ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Patrick2810
Physics module1: Mechanics, 69, 90
Physics module2: Electrons, Waves & Photons, 150, 150
Physics module3: Prctcl Skills in Physics 1, 58, 60

Maths module1: Core Mathematics 1, 92, 100
Maths module2: Core Mathematics 2, 97, 100
Maths module3: Statistics , 99, 100

I'm sure you're familiar with the layout :smile: :smile: how were your UMS scores ?

Physics:
Mechanics - 83/90
Electrons, Waves and Photons - 133/150
Practical Skills - 58/60

Maths:
C1 - 98/100
C2 - 83/100
S1 - 97/100

Further Maths:
FP1 - 79/100
M1 - 95/100
M2 - 94/100
Do 1st years ever get into University college or is it a waste of time applying? What if the applicant is studying a subject with a low intake?
anyone received an offer for Archaeology and Ancient Civilisation please?
Original post by TomCastles
Physics:
Mechanics - 83/90
Electrons, Waves and Photons - 133/150
Practical Skills - 58/60

Maths:
C1 - 98/100
C2 - 83/100
S1 - 97/100

Further Maths:
FP1 - 79/100
M1 - 95/100
M2 - 94/100

those look great :smile: I'm doing further maths A level this year btw
Reply 891
Original post by em_lrob
Heya I'm completely new to this thread but I just received an offer from Durham to do Liberal Arts today! Are you doing AP?

congratz!! When did you apply?
You're from the States too? :smile: I'm from New York (British half is from North Yorkshire).

Kinda sorta doing AP classes? (Can't really say this without sounding annoying aha) My school is super-accelerated, a public (or state, for UKers) school, but functions like a private school. So for example our normal US History class is AP level for example, and 10th grade English is at/above AP level, my Constitutional Law class is considered to be much harder than the AP GovPol class, etc. I took the AP Spanish test in 10th grade, and am currently in AB calc, but those are my only official AP's (US uni's know my school's deal, obviously UK schools don't know/don't really care) using SAT, subject tests + the Spanish score for UK schools
Reply 892
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Do 1st years ever get into University college or is it a waste of time applying? What if the applicant is studying a subject with a low intake?

They take a proportion of 1st years each intake, they all do, so there's just over 156 rooms there for first year if I remember rightly (don't quote me on that). You can apply of course but it's the most oversubscribed college so there's a greater risk of being pooled to a college you didn't like as much.
Got an offer from Durham for Liberal Arts!! :smile:
Reply 894
Original post by azafran
congratz!! When did you apply?
You're from the States too? :smile: I'm from New York (British half is from North Yorkshire).

Kinda sorta doing AP classes? (Can't really say this without sounding annoying aha) My school is super-accelerated, a public (or state, for UKers) school, but functions like a private school. So for example our normal US History class is AP level for example, and 10th grade English is at/above AP level, my Constitutional Law class is considered to be much harder than the AP GovPol class, etc. I took the AP Spanish test in 10th grade, and am currently in AB calc, but those are my only official AP's (US uni's know my school's deal, obviously UK schools don't know/don't really care) using SAT, subject tests + the Spanish score for UK schools

Thank you!!:smile: I'm a Brit, but most of the kids at my school are international so I've talked to quite a few Americans before and they always talk about AP in comparison to IB (which I'm taking). How are you finding the UK uni application progress considering your situation? The American system seems so much more chilled out than in the UK, we are so rigid in our qualifications it drives me insane!

I put my application in around the 7th of October if I can remember correctly, when did you?
Original post by gabrielladelaney
Just got an offer for Law :-) A*AA

would you mind telling me your predicted grades for A2 and GCSEs ???
unconditional for BSc Finance :smile:
Original post by Poppy Li
anyone received an offer for Archaeology and Ancient Civilisation please?

Yes, I got one one last week for Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations! I've already got my grades so I got an unconditional, but if you haven't hear yet don't panic! I applied last year for ancient history and archaeology but didn't get an offer until January! And another of my friends didn't get an offer until March!! :smile:
Original post by jjzxcvbnm
Got an offer from Durham for Liberal Arts!! :smile:

That's fantastic, well done! :biggrin:

When did you apply?
Reply 899
Original post by em_lrob
Thank you!!:smile: I'm a Brit, but most of the kids at my school are international so I've talked to quite a few Americans before and they always talk about AP in comparison to IB (which I'm taking). How are you finding the UK uni application progress considering your situation? The American system seems so much more chilled out than in the UK, we are so rigid in our qualifications it drives me insane!

I put my application in around the 7th of October if I can remember correctly, when did you?

I just sent it in last Sunday (the 15th), so probably won't be hearing for a while.

I've actually found the UK process wayyyyy easier than the American one. There are no conditional offers in the US, which makes the second half of the year pretty relaxed, but whether or not you get into certain unis is way more of a crapshoot. Test scores matter, but your transcript is super important, and your essays (which are much more about you as a person than your academic ability), and extracurriculars, etc. are really important too. So if you want to go to a competitive school, you have apply to several (plus 'safety' schools, because you could not get into any, even with top scores). Most people I know apply to at least 9 or so, often more.

S o basically the US system is way more holistic and less rigid, but also way less predictable. Sorry for the long explanation aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending