The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phthalogreen
I'm in the same place, applied for English and History, rejected by Oxford and really hoping for Durham now!

Sorry to hear you got rejected, hopefully Durham will give you a offer :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by starrynight7
Hey, yeah I got an offer for English quite a while back but I was early deadline so I applied to them very early on

Same I sent off early October but no decision yet :frown:
Original post by phthalogreen
I'm in the same place, applied for English and History, rejected by Oxford and really hoping for Durham now!

Just have to hope we both get in. Glad to hear someone else is still waiting for English and History though
Reply 1243
Original post by Tessie25
Same I sent off early October but no decision yet :frown:

I sent off early to meet the Oxbridge deadline too, and haven't heard :frown: also to study English!
Feel like I'm the only one here who hasn't applied for Oxbridge aha, good luck to everyone!
Original post by Mrich454
Yeah you are right we can just prove them wrong at Durham lol :biggrin: Durham does look really nice :biggrin: What course and college have you applied for? :biggrin:

We'll prove them wrong! 💪🏼
Biosciences and I applied to Collingwood☺️
Original post by Smoke and Bone
Feel like I'm the only one here who hasn't applied for Oxbridge aha, good luck to everyone!

I haven't either! Feel like we are few in numbers however!
Original post by Mrich454
Chad's is the opposite to Butler it's quite old but It looked like everyone really got on because it's quite small which I liked. Is Butler catered or not?

No Butler is not catered. Neither are some students at St Cuthbert's (they have like partly catered students I think).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amybonnie98
I haven't either! Feel like we are few in numbers however!

I didn't apply to Oxbridge either haha, anyone else scared about the really expensive accommodation?
Original post by Swifty139
I didn't apply to Oxbridge either haha, anyone else scared about the really expensive accommodation?

Is it really that expensive? :/
Original post by mazzaion
Is it really that expensive? :/

Yes! Students are currently campaigning against accommodation fees which are going to be £7058 next year (£243/week)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cerlohee
Yes! Students are currently campaigning against accommodation fees which are going to be £7058 next year (£243/week)

I guess when you're living in accommodation that's both listed and catered and in a beautiful place at one of the top unis in the country, you can see why it's so expensive. Honestly, I think it'll be worth it.
Original post by Spoderman14
I guess when you're living in accommodation that's both listed and catered and in a beautiful place at one of the top unis in the country, you can see why it's so expensive. Honestly, I think it'll be worth it.

Oxford and Cambridge are equally as beautiful (and catered) but are about 1-2k less than Durham. Sucks for people from low income backgrounds who won't be able to afford it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Oxford and Cambridge are equally as beautiful (and catered) but are about 1-2k less than Durham. Sucks for people from low income backgrounds who won't be able to afford it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I fall short of the accommodation price by £500 from my loan so I have to find that money elsewhere and even though i'm not in the lowest income bracket, there is no way my parents will be helping me as there are 3 other kids in my house that need feeding and clothing too...

Luckily enough I had the sense to save from my job!
Any one heard, or know anyone who has, from engineering?
Original post by cerlohee

Where can I find these details?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your household income is below £25k, they knock £2k off accommodation.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/scholarships/dgs/

(£2k is the figure for 2015/16; the year before that it was £2.5k and before that £3k. So it's possible that it could be less than £2k actually. There isn't any info for 2016/17 up yet.)
Reply 1257
Original post by rachel x
If your household income is below £25k, they knock £2k off accommodation.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/scholarships/dgs/

(£2k is the figure for 2015/16; the year before that it was £2.5k and before that £3k. So it's possible that it could be less than £2k actually. There isn't any info for 2016/17 up yet.)

I would be eligible for that, but it's disappointing to see it go down each year while prices go up.

Has anyone applied to UCL also? Because out of my 4 offers Durham and UCL are the best, but I can't choose between them. What attracts people to Durham particularly?

Because the prices at Durham are getting closer and closer to London prices, and over there they do have some generous bursaries/scholarships available. But Durham I felt has a nicer atmosphere and experience, collegiate etc. London is more internationally recognised but a bit hustle and bustle, doesn't score as well on experience.

I have promised to make a thread on this closer to decision time (have until April/May!), but just wondering your thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bj1
I would be eligible for that, but it's disappointing to see it go down each year while prices go up.

Has anyone applied to UCL also? Because out of my 4 offers Durham and UCL are the best, but I can't choose between them. What attracts people to Durham particularly?

Because the prices at Durham are getting closer and closer to London prices, and over there they do have some generous bursaries/scholarships available. But Durham I felt has a nicer atmosphere and experience, collegiate etc. London is more internationally recognised but a bit hustle and bustle, doesn't score as well on experience.

I have promised to make a thread on this closer to decision time (have until April/May!), but just wondering your thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've also applied to UCL! What course are you going to be doing? I'm doing anthropology, and for Durham I applied to Collingwood college.

Prior to my discovery that Durham doesn't offer a particular module that I want to do, whereas it's a core first year one at UCL, it was pretty toss up for me. I'm now most likely to firm UCL, but I'm waiting til after I attend post-offer visit days, just to be sure - especially as I haven't actually visited UCL itself yet. I'm also waiting on a decision from Bristol still (annoying, as they were my fifth choice and I never planned to accept an offer from them - and yet they've taken over a month longer than anyone else. Still, it's better than waiting on a decision from a uni I want to go to).

I think the pros on the Durham side (for me) were the nice atmosphere, the collegiate system/community feel, I liked the department building and the library, and obviously it's quite a bit quieter than London! But for me also, the two are very very close, especially as for me the idea of living in London is attractive.
Original post by Spoderman14

I live in this accommodation and I don't think it's worth it. I don't think any accommodation I've seen so far has been worth 7 grand a year, actually. It really annoys me because even if it was worth it, it entirely excludes people from poorer backgrounds who can't afford the rent but deserve to be at Durham.

Original post by longsightdon
Where can I find these details?

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/colleges/ourcolleges/costs/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending