The Student Room Group

History Degree Investment Banking Chances

Hi!

I'm currently in AS and am considering my University and course for next year. My A' Levels are History, Geography, Maths and English Lit. and my favourite my a mile is History! I'm keen to apply for a History degree to further my passion for the subject, however my dream job is to become an investment banker one day, so I'm not sure whether a more sciencey degree would be better. My university choices are: Glasgow, Birmingham, UCL, Durham and maybe at a long shot Oxbridge, but that's quite a long shot.

Would you say that it is possible to gain a job in investment banking with a History degree from any of these universities, or is there another university which would be more appropriate? My absolute passion is History, but I really want to go into the banking sector!

If not IB, would History at least get me into the finance sector?

Thanks for any responses! :smile:
Original post by BLambert
Hi!

I'm currently in AS and am considering my University and course for next year. My A' Levels are History, Geography, Maths and English Lit. and my favourite my a mile is History! I'm keen to apply for a History degree to further my passion for the subject, however my dream job is to become an investment banker one day, so I'm not sure whether a more sciencey degree would be better. My university choices are: Glasgow, Birmingham, UCL, Durham and maybe at a long shot Oxbridge, but that's quite a long shot.

Would you say that it is possible to gain a job in investment banking with a History degree from any of these universities, or is there another university which would be more appropriate? My absolute passion is History, but I really want to go into the banking sector!

If not IB, would History at least get me into the finance sector?

Thanks for any responses! :smile:

One thing to note, history at 2nd and 3rd year could have a 6-12 hr week(ie pretty much f all)

Another thing, you will be competing with graduates with econ degrees and maths degrees, how will you show your maths and business skills?

You can always learn history via OU in your spare time, for much much cheaper.
There are plenty of history grads working in the city at the moment. There are probably fewer than there used to be but it is not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. Just make sure you apply to lots of internships and don't fall at obvious stages like the SHL numerical/verbal reasoning tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending