Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Greetings everyone,

First of all I hope I'm posting this in the right subforum (if that's what they are called, English is not my first language). I'm looking for some advice on a current issue I'm having right now.

I am currently studying industrial engineering in Spain, and am having emotional issues coping with what I'm studying. I have started my second semester, meaning I'm halfway through my first year. I have never studied so much before, I spent most of my days (including weekends) from 9-20 hours working; the work load is quite heavy.

I was able to get used to sleeping less and working more than before so my physical state was not really a problem. But I have been having quite a few emotional issues regarding this choice.

I really do not enjoy too much what I'm doing, but it seems like everyone tells me "the third year gets better". I have never had any trouble coping emotionally with the changes I had to make to my life in school, but it seems uni was just a bit too much. The last two months I lost appetite, some days just eating breakfast, in general no dinner. I have cried a few times probably out of pure stress and distress (boys cry too ) just in general about what I have gotten myself into.

The main issue I have is that I don't know if what I'm doing is something I'd like. I'm putting so much time, effort, sweat and tears into this that if it's something in the end that I won't like it would feel like I wasted at least four years of my life. I have talked about this with my parents but it seems they believe I'm making the right thing studying engineering, because if I didn't study science I would be "throwing my intelligence to waste".

Just in general I feel like my life sucks at the moment: I don't enjoy what I do, I don't really have any good friends (I'm one of those antisocial freaks), and the work is deteriorating my spirit. The only thing I like about what I do is when I get to solve some equation or problem that requires a lot of time, I feel a little accomplished doing that, but I sometimes feel this is not exactly for me. I like to be creative, I love making music and writing short stories, playing instruments and reading books... nothing in my list says "solving equations".

I apologize in advance if all I wrote makes no sense whatsoever, but I was hoping I could get some advice from people studying engineering who might have had similar problems, or ex engineering studends. I tried making the wall of text more appealing but maybe I didn't accomplish it .

Thanks for your time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.