Do you get no marks in a maths "show that" question if your method is different?

Watch
HLN_Radium
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
...to the one in the markscheme? Even if it's totally valid? because I'm looking at markschemes and they dont say anything about alternate methods, even if they are completely valid.
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No in the real exam the examiner will have a more detailed mark scheme that includes all of the possible alternative methods. The mark scheme you have will show the most common ones. If your method is valid and you have shown enough detail in your working, you will get the marks.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HLN_Radium)
...to the one in the markscheme? Even if it's totally valid? because I'm looking at markschemes and they dont say anything about alternate methods, even if they are completely valid.
Unless they've specified a method, you'll get full marks as long as your method that you've shown is correct.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Unless they've specified a method, you'll get full marks as long as your method that you've shown is correct.
sometimes if the method is obscure, handwriting and structure is bad you might get nothing.

Something like this usually can be challenged in a re-mark (if you suspect it took place)
MathMeister
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if, say somebody used the product rule to differentiate the product of two functions of x in C1/2 instead of expanding then differentiating.
Would one get full marks?
I struggle to understand mark schemes lol- don't know how strict they are.
is it literally any correct method generally gets the mark unless they want you to use a certain method?
thx
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MathMeister)
What if, say somebody used the product rule to differentiate the product of two functions of x in C1/2 instead of expanding then differentiating.
Would one get full marks?
I struggle to understand mark schemes lol- don't know how strict they are.
is it literally any correct method generally gets the mark unless they want you to use a certain method?
thx
Unless it tells you which method to use and your method is correct and clear then yes, you'd get the marks. If the mark scheme expands it first though, it may be the easier way.
MathMeister
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unless it tells you which method to use and your method is correct and clear then yes, you'd get the marks. If the mark scheme expands it first though, it may be the easier way.
ok ty
Mr M
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
No in the real exam the examiner will have a more detailed mark scheme that includes all of the possible alternative methods.
The mark scheme we have is the same as the one that is published (although it is normal to annotate it based on discussions at the initial meeting and subsequently).

You are correct to say any valid method should be credited (unless a method is specified in the question).
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
sometimes if the method is obscure, handwriting and structure is bad you might get nothing.

Something like this usually can be challenged in a re-mark (if you suspect it took place)
yh my teacher said this, he used to mark for edexcel. Show that need clear cut answers and methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (324)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (253)
43.85%

Watched Threads