Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    this has got too clever for me
    LOL! - poor girl ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazzYaa7)
    LOL! - poor girl ;p
    care to enlighten us on your view of the conciousness? something tangiable or complex networks of matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    so you are suggesting that there must be some presence other than that of this universe to retain knowledge? what does a cd or book do? and yes, machines that get sense data actually see (or hear or feel etc) but do not have sufficient capacity to process this as fully as we do. mental process is purely materialistic.

perhaps you would like to provide an alternative to what i have said rather than picking holes in my clearly limited knowledge of the human brain? :rolleyes:
    Excuse me? You do have limited knowledge of the human brain, nor do I think you have even considered the possiblity there could be more to us than a brain - your being a narrow minded scientist

Anyway, alternative to what? I'm saying that there is more to a human than the purely materalistic and have shown by example of 'seeing' that in my view there must be some kind of mental process.

Consciousness is a very strange thing, that biology completly ignore because it doesn't have an answer for it - this is more a debate for philosophy rather than science. Besides, I cannot agree with the view that if we made a 'cd' more advanced it would suddenly be able to hear! No matter how much we put matter together, it isn't going to suddenly create something that can 'hear' or have 'consciousness'.

I don't have an answer, I just believe that we cannot boil everything down to a physical process and I have already explained why in previous posts. We will have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    care to enlighten us on your view of the conciousness? something tangiable or complex networks of matter?
    i can't really be bothered to read that load of *******s after 5 hours of doing physics

NEXT?

ReputationRep:
    lolly?
    oooh the red one the red one!

ReputationRep:
    i can't really be bothered to read that load of *******s after 5 hours of doing physics

NEXT?
    he means don't diss me when you don't know anything about it either

ReputationRep:

NEXT?
    Did you discuss with your teacher that physics is merely subjective through human perception and has no objective truth, yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Did you discuss with your teacher that physics is merely subjective through human perception and has no objective truth, yet?
    what do you think the examiner would do if he or she opened my script and saw a load of ******** science philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    he means don't diss me when you don't know anything about it either
    no you actually took the trouble reading it - i on the other hand didn't.

ReputationRep:
    what do you think the examiner would do if he or she opened my script and saw a load of ******** science philosophy?
    think you were a human who thought about things, rather than just a machine that garbles out sciency crap?

ReputationRep:
    no you actually took the trouble reading it - i on the other hand didn't.
    well duh...i started the thread :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well duh...i started the thread :rolleyes:
    look lady , don't get all annoyed cuz you can't follow an argument =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Excuse me? You do have limited knowledge of the human brain, nor do I think you have even considered the possiblity there could be more to us than a brain - your being a narrow minded scientist

Anyway, alternative to what? I'm saying that there is more to a human than the purely materalistic and have shown by example of 'seeing' that in my view there must be some kind of mental process.

Consciousness is a very strange thing, that biology completly ignore because it doesn't have an answer for it - this is more a debate for philosophy rather than science. Besides, I cannot agree with the view that if we made a 'cd' more advanced it would suddenly be able to hear! No matter how much we put matter together, it isn't going to suddenly create something that can 'hear' or have 'consciousness'.

I don't have an answer, I just believe that we cannot boil everything down to a physical process and I have already explained why in previous posts. We will have to agree to disagree.
    ok, but consider that with enough complexity there can be what we percieve to be consciousness. i believe mental process to be the exchange of neural impulses in the brain. chickens (for example) have less complex brains than we do and have a diminished ability to process information from stimuli. link? biology puts forward the complex network theory all the time, but it gets dismissed by narrow minded spiritualists ( ) as non conclusive and lacking in detail. but i can see the attraction of a less scientific view, and would say that im not a narrow minded scientist being only 15 and having had no time to get narrow minded yet.

dazya what the hell are you on about this is not physics this is processes vs the spiritual (for want of a better word). take the piss out of TK if you will but not if you're clearly less competant on the topic than she is!

ReputationRep:
    get off the thread then

ReputationRep:
    you idiot you clearly have trouble following an argument - you're going to become stuck in an english language exam if you cannot do that!

i simply said, i cannot be bothered to read all the stuff that was said because i'm pretty worn out from revising!!!

ITS NOT THAT HARD TO COMPREHEND SERIOUSLY
    ? i was under the impression that it was me and corey who were having an argument? and quite a nice one too. i relish at the fact that you accuse others of being poor arguers and then start your retort with 'you idiot'.

ReputationRep:
    ? i was under the impression that it was me and corey who were having an argument? and quite a nice one too. i relish at the fact that you accuse others of being poor arguers and then start your retort with 'you idiot'.
    and just like that, he dissapeared! next week children, i'll read you 'DazYa Gets a Life'. its a fantasy fiction genre.

ReputationRep:
    wow i'm sorry if i offended you by saying " Poor girl " to tinykates - that seems to have triggered it

ReputationRep:
    wow i'm sorry if i offended you by saying " Poor girl " to tinykates - that seems to have triggered it
    triggered what? i inquired what your opinion was and you waved it aside, then argued with TK, telling her she didnt understand. im just sayin is all

ReputationRep:
    and just like that, he dissapeared! next week children, i'll read you 'DazYa Gets a Life'. its a fantasy fiction genre.
    i think we'll be waiting longer than a week for that to come out

ReputationRep:
    disappeared * ;p

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.