The Student Room Group

Anorexia Recovery Help!

Hello, I have been getting very frustrated lately. Having recently committed to my anorexia recovery I have found the food cravings unbearable. My weight has been shooting up 1lbs per day and so it got to the point yesterday, where me and my parents agreed to hide the scale, so that I wasn't permanently stressed out at my quickly increasing weight. This is particularly sensitive for me, as before my anorexia recovery I used to be overweight and I obviously don't want to go back to that. I just feel like my weight gain is never going to stop!

Since starting recovery my body just wants to eat so unhealthy. Although I wouldn't say I am binging, as I am able to stop eating and leave food when I feel too full. Everything my body is craving is also very unhealthy, for example takeaways and sweets. These are all foods which I hadn't eaten since 2013. It's very frustrating as I can eat a pizza and then a couple of hours later, my body will be desperate for sweets.

I just feel like this is never going to end and I will never be able to have a normal relationship with food. I really don't want to keep gaining weight and I am terrified of becoming overweight again!
Money.
Control your spending so that you don't spend it on food.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I have been getting very frustrated lately. Having recently committed to my anorexia recovery I have found the food cravings unbearable. My weight has been shooting up 1lbs per day and so it got to the point yesterday, where me and my parents agreed to hide the scale, so that I wasn't permanently stressed out at my quickly increasing weight. This is particularly sensitive for me, as before my anorexia recovery I used to be overweight and I obviously don't want to go back to that. I just feel like my weight gain is never going to stop!

Since starting recovery my body just wants to eat so unhealthy. Although I wouldn't say I am binging, as I am able to stop eating and leave food when I feel too full. Everything my body is craving is also very unhealthy, for example takeaways and sweets. These are all foods which I hadn't eaten since 2013. It's very frustrating as I can eat a pizza and then a couple of hours later, my body will be desperate for sweets.

I just feel like this is never going to end and I will never be able to have a normal relationship with food. I really don't want to keep gaining weight and I am terrified of becoming overweight again!

This is totally normal in recovery hun, the best thing to do is listen to your body's cravings and let it have what it wants. You need to rebuild the trust between you and your body and the only way to do that is by showing it that you're not going to starve it anymore, and if it want's to eat, it can eat.
it's asking for what it's lacking...

it may help to check what you're eating aside from cravings is okay, e.g. enough calories, often enough, adequate nutrition

but generally you just need to accept that for now, you probably need to gain some weight, you certainly need extra calories to repair the damage to your body... the weight gain may feel really fast right now but it will slow down and you won't keep eating and gaining forever

Quick Reply

Latest