Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I've received 4 offers so far (still waiting on Newcastle who says they're not making offers yet) from Bath, Birmingham and Exeter (all AAA) and Cardiff (ABB); Cardiff I would pick as my insurance
    I've only visited Birmingham and Cardiff so it might be a little unfair but I really loved the city of Birmingham and up until recently I was certain that Birmingham and Cardiff would be my firms and insurance

However.. I'm born and raised in Torbay, Devon and I've recently been informed that Exeter Uni offers some very generous grants to local Devon students; The Tony Allen Scholarship is £1500 /anuum for 3 years to local 'top performing students', also The Farringdon House Charitable Trust is £2100 /anuum for 'new students' under 19 and its renewed through the whole course 'subject to satisfactory academic performance'

So.. now I'm really considering Exeter as an option - the main downside is that its very close to home, also there doesn't really seem to be much security or guarantee behind actually getting these scholarships

I'd be very grateful if any of you guys could offer me some advice on what you'd do if you were in my situation! Is Exeter just as respected as Birmingham in CompSci? or at least would the financial gain make up if Exeter isn't as great?

There are loads of really some good scholarships at Birmingham the asidua scholarship is one £25k and paid work placement

The other plus side is that Birmingham is a Russell group university so it'll defo take your career to the next level

If my advice means anything to you, Go Go Go Ham

Exeter is a Russell Group University too... although too much weight is put on that status imo.

OP the choice is really down to you, both are fantastic universities although having visited both the cities of Exeter and Birmingham I personally much prefer Birmingham as a city :P

£3,600 a year is not to be sniffed at though... are these bursaries only available to local students? will you be competing with others to get them or do you have to get certain results?

Congrats on getting your offers btw!

Personally, I liked the look of Bath's course the most, moderately theoretical looking. I hear B'Ham's is quite practical/programming focused. Not sure about the others.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.