Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I'm currently in my first year studying French and Spanish at uni, and next year I'll have the option of learning Quechua or Catalan from scratch! I can only do one of them, and I really can't pick!

Catalan would be good as it's a European language and I'm more likely to look for a career in Europe so may be more useful. Also, you study Catalan in second and fourth year, so would probably get to a higher level (Quechua is only studied in second year). However this module fills up so fast, I probably wouldn't even get a place and if I try then I may miss out on Quechua, as that fills up quite fast too (not as fast as Catalan) and then I'd miss out on learning either of them!

Quechua would be good because it would be cool to learn a non-European language, I think it'd be really exciting and I'd love to go to South America one day! However i don't know how useful it would be and stuff!

Any advice? Have any of you studied either of these languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessedfreak95)
    Hi guys!

I'm currently in my first year studying French and Spanish at uni, and next year I'll have the option of learning Quechua or Catalan from scratch! I can only do one of them, and I really can't pick!

Catalan would be good as it's a European language and I'm more likely to look for a career in Europe so may be more useful. Also, you study Catalan in second and fourth year, so would probably get to a higher level (Quechua is only studied in second year). However this module fills up so fast, I probably wouldn't even get a place and if I try then I may miss out on Quechua, as that fills up quite fast too (not as fast as Catalan) and then I'd miss out on learning either of them!

Quechua would be good because it would be cool to learn a non-European language, I think it'd be really exciting and I'd love to go to South America one day! However i don't know how useful it would be and stuff!

Any advice? Have any of you studied either of these languages?
    Catalan could be useful if you're interested in living or working in Catalonia, as far from being 'just' a regional language it is the first language for many citizens and businesses of Catalonia, so although everybody speaks Spanish, being able to speak Catalan will give you a much better chance of integration and even better work opportunities. Catalonia is one of the biggest economies in Spain so if you are looking for work it's probably a good place to head! It will also be easier due to already speaking Spanish. It's also an interesting language which isn't just "Spanish with tweaks" - 'va + infinitive' for example doesn't mean 'going to' but is a past tense! (which takes some getting used to!)

I don't know the slightest thing about Quechua so can't advise on that! But that's my thoughts on Catalan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moutonfou)
    Catalan could be useful if you're interested in living or working in Catalonia, as far from being 'just' a regional language it is the first language for many citizens and businesses of Catalonia, so although everybody speaks Spanish, being able to speak Catalan will give you a much better chance of integration and even better work opportunities. Catalonia is one of the biggest economies in Spain so if you are looking for work it's probably a good place to head! It will also be easier due to already speaking Spanish. It's also an interesting language which isn't just "Spanish with tweaks" - 'va + infinitive' for example doesn't mean 'going to' but is a past tense! (which takes some getting used to!)

I don't know the slightest thing about Quechua so can't advise on that! But that's my thoughts on Catalan!
    Thank you so much for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Catalan is somewhat useful and would be classed as a major European language if Catalonia gains independence. It's also spoken in France, Andorra, other regions of Spain and in a city in Italy. It can be quite confusing if you speak other European languages though (e.g. sortie/salida --> sortida) and I believe the pronunciation is difficult. Everyone who speaks Catalan is bilingual like the previous poster said, but that's pretty much the same for Quechua. Quechua may not be as useful, but I'd say it's a lot more interesting. In all honesty, neither language is that useful in the whole grand scheme of things and choosing one over the other wouldn't change anything on your CV. Even in Barcelona you don't need Catalan for most jobs outside of the public sector.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.