Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Was just curious which uni would be better to become a medical physicist?!

    Hey just noticed this!

    I don't got to either of those universities, but I know they are both highly regarded. From what I gather Imperial has a slight edge in terms of prestige. However I would say not to worry too much - I know you can do degrees in medical Physics, but you have lots of other options too. I'm at Durham, doing a normal Physics MPhys (integrated Masters) and I will then go into medical Physics via the NHS STP (Scientific Training Programme) scheme. This gives you more flexibility in terms of what university you want to go to, and means that you can change your mind if you decide to go into a different area - I know now that what I thought I'd want to do when I was at school was completely wrong as you just don't have enough experience!

    From what I gather you have to do the STP to work in the NHS at all, and if you want to go into research a normal Physics degree wont stop you anyway! I'd suggest not necessarily focusing on medical physics for the moment, especially if you're still at school unless you're absolutely certain!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2015
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.