The Student Room Group

1000 cal a day for 2 months!!

Scroll to see replies

1000 calories a day is unhealthy. Go for 1500 and you'll be able to maintain it for longer. Plus eat several small meals to speed up metabolism which will help in the long run and help the weight stay off.
But i think you should excersise also, it will help you gain muscle giving you a more toned body instead of just looking slimmer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frappé
1000 calories a day is unhealthy. Go for 1500 and you'll be able to maintain it for longer. Plus eat several small meals to speed up metabolism which will help in the long run and help the weight stay off.
But i think you should excersise also, it will help you gain muscle giving you a more toned body instead of just looking slimmer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

O rly?
Brb Cucumber to the rescue

Original post by noey123
hey guys

i am 17 years old i weigh 63.5 kg and i am 5 foot 6 my aim is to reach 56/55 kg.

is this a good aim? and is 56kg okay for my age and height?

thanks in advance

No, it's not.

1) You're a pretty normal weight, being 56kg is getting very thin, to the point of being underweight.

If you want to get fitter - do some cardio

Do be more "toned" you need to lift weights etc

Read this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Original post by jammy4041
First off, are you a girl or a guy?

63.5kg at 17 years old, even at 5ft 6, is a healthy weight. I don't think you need to lose any weight, especially at your age.

I like this up to here

If you really, really, really, really, must feel like you want to get more toned etc, then cut for a little bit. Cut out red meat, fatty foods, carbs (as much as possible, especially bad ones) etc.

How to break a diet 101 - cut out everything.

Cutting so much out of your diet is liable to make OP grumpy, hungry and liable to breaking the diet. Yes eat healthier, but to cut out carbs is to become fairly miserable and lethargic.

Burning 1000 calories a day, is to be desired anyway, however, if you want to just eat 1000 calories a day for two months...that would be very bad. You'd screw with your metabolism, at a time when you're still growing., and if you're going from 2000-2500 straight down to 1000 calories a day...it would be really bad. There's the 5:2 which a few people find success with...eating normally for 5 days, and limiting it to 1000 calories for 2 days a week.

But personally, you'd be better off going down to like, 1500-1800 calories a day, rather than giving your body such a shock going from 2000-2500 to 1000, if of course you really, really, really, really, must feel like you need to lose some weight or tone.

Yes agreed

Original post by Sam Walters
Also. You wont loose that amount of weight in that time unless your calorie deficit is -1000. Honestly its a bad move. A really bad move to do that.

I lost 5 stone in a year and it made me really unwell. I really don't advise people do it.

I imagine you felt fairly appalling :s

Probably crashed your lipid hormones such as testosterone etc

Original post by OU Student
Wouldn't your body go into starvation mode if you ate that little?

Yes and no

Yes - eventually when you're in such a hard deficit you would enter starvation mode. But probably not as OP would have just enough fat reserves to keep going for the time being

Original post by jammy4041
I think it's bad from the perspective that it would be too much weight loss too soon. If you try to aim for 1700 calories a day, but make them "good" calories, with not much red meat, saturated fat, and go for low gi foods, but for longer, than that would be more workable. Too much too soon, would be very bad for your metabolism and would mess with your body too much.

The concept of good and bad calories is not only scientifically redundant, it's plain wrong. There's nothing wrong with a bit of sat fat nor red meat

Original post by iAmanze
2 lb is the recommended 'safe' amount you should loose in a week. Not at all anywhere near the limit. Do not comment on things you do not have information on.

2lb is the maximum anyone other than the super obese should lose a week

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Do you have scientific evidence for the existence of starvation mode? And by scientific I don't mean articles on weight loss forums saying "don't eat too little or you'll go into starvation mode".

It is impossible not to lose weight if you're burning more than you're eating. Your body cannot and will not run off nothing. If the energy is not immediately accessible, it has to break down fat stores (and probably muscle and lean tissues as well, but that's the risk we take). If starvation mode was a thing, how would people in third world, or those with eating disorders, get so thin?

To lose weight in a way that would probably be more aesthetically pleasing, eating a little more but also exercising is a great idea. It's also better for your state of mind to eat more, as you're very unlikely to ever feel full if you're only eating 1,000 cals a day. It does get pretty miserable. Much better to eat more and exercise - as exercise makes you feel better anyway!

EDIT: I'm not saying eating 1,000 cals a day is a good idea. It's not. But not because of starvation mode.

Yes it exists, it happens when you're in a very hard deficit and have little to no body fat stores left.

Your thyroid, which drives metabolism stops functioning to lower metabolism and you grow downy hairs. Anorexic people get it at their most ill.

It's massively overblown though

Original post by Frappé

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can not speed up metabolism through meals
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber

Yes it exists, it happens when you're in a very hard deficit and have little to no body fat stores left.

Your thyroid, which drives metabolism stops functioning to lower metabolism and you grow downy hairs. Anorexic people get it at their most ill.

Okay fair enough - but I just meant it's not really the type of thing someone who's overweight has to worry about!
To cut it straight to the point eating 1000kcl a day isn't go to be a great benefit to you, because as you body isn't used to it so will hoard what it has; and will actually lead to the atrophy of your muscle tissues rather than using the bodies fat stores.

All I can tell you is that if you don't do any exercise and your concerned about your weight, then to be honest there is your problem. You can't expect to loose loads of weight by so excessively restricting your diet, it has to be helped by some source of physical activity. My best advise is just to slightly cut back on the quantities/size of your portions and do some exercise (advisably swimming or circuit training). Being 17 I can relate and understand why loosing weight may seem important, however for the good of your health you need to go about it in a sensible way.
c'mon guys it's not "1000 calories" but "1000 kcalories" or "1000 Calories". learn the proper unit names.
Original post by ParallelGhost
To cut it straight to the point eating 1000kcl a day isn't go to be a great benefit to you, because as you body isn't used to it so will hoard what it has; and will actually lead to the atrophy of your muscle tissues rather than using the bodies fat stores.

No it won't.

Does a car hoard fuel if it's running out? No. Because it has to run on something.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Okay fair enough - but I just meant it's not really the type of thing someone who's overweight has to worry about!

As I said it's massively overblown and pretty irrelevant in this case :smile:

Original post by simon_g
c'mon guys it's not "1000 calories" but "1000 kcalories" or "1000 Calories". learn the proper unit names.

Who cares?
Who cares?

I do.
is the kilometer same as mater? or kilogram same as gram? no? than why do you think that kilocalorie is the same as calorie?
Original post by simon_g
I do.
is the kilometer same as mater? or kilogram same as gram? no? than why do you think that kilocalorie is the same as calorie?

I'm sure you can deal with me writing calories :smile:
Just as a point from another perspective, irrespective of the health issues, why bother with this anyway?

OP have you noticed how there is a multi-billion-pound industry built around short, fast diets? But it they worked, everyone would be slim and the industry would collapse, wouldn't it?

If you want to be yet another idiot who lost weight for a couple of months and then gained it back again within a few more months, only to endlessly repeat the ridiculous cycle, then go ahead. If you want to be one of the smart people who actually maintain a healthy weight and body, then you need to change your lifestyle, long-term.

Find a sport/physical activity you actually enjoy, and that you can WANT to do, that you can take up as a hobby - for more than two months. Cut out some of the unnecessary stuff in your diet that you can manage without, and stick to that, FOREVER. It's actually incredibly easy.
(edited 9 years ago)

No, it's not.

1) You're a pretty normal weight, being 56kg is getting very thin, to the point of being underweight.

I like this up to here

Cutting so much out of your diet is liable to make OP grumpy, hungry and liable to breaking the diet. Yes eat healthier, but to cut out carbs is to become fairly miserable and lethargic.

Yes agreed

Yes and no

Yes - eventually when you're in such a hard deficit you would enter starvation mode. But probably not as OP would have just enough fat reserves to keep going for the time being

The concept of good and bad calories is not only scientifically redundant, it's plain wrong. There's nothing wrong with a bit of sat fat nor red meat

Well i've heard that its a myth or whatever, but from personal experience it works, and it can really aid weight loss so it's always worth a try.
Sorry but these posts are stupid. People fast all the time and experience better health, eradicate diabetes and live longer from low calorie diets. All of the OH NO STARVATION MODE!!! alarmist bs is written by fat lazy people with no discipline who can't part from their donuts and feel bad about thinking not having the strength enough to go a day without food. You won't die if you cut your calories to 1000-it's what Weight Watchers had people on for YEARS and no one died. Fasting is good for you. Low calorie diets DO NOT make you go into starvation mode or slow your metabolism, in fact there's a lot of data pointing to the opposite. Data not readily available on Google searches because corporations invest in studies that will say you will starve if you eat less. If you eat less you'll live longer, spend less money, think more clearly and maybe one day find the strength and discipline needed to challenge a corrupt system that wants you fat, lazy, stupid, consumerist and busy all the time so you never realize your full potential, explore your psyche and find the temerity to get off of your self absorbed ass to actually help people and make a difference. It's kind of basic- digestion is the most energy consuming thing your body does- when you do less of it you have more energy to live, to contribute, to improve.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StephanieWE
Sorry but these posts are stupid. People fast all the time and experience better health, eradicate diabetes and live longer from low calorie diets. All of the OH NO STARVATION MODE!!! alarmist bs is written by fat lazy people with no discipline who can't part from their donuts and feel bad about thinking not having the strength enough to go a day without food. You won't die if you cut your calories to 1000-it's what Weight Watchers had people on for YEARS and no one died. Fasting is good for you. Low calorie diets DO NOT make you go into starvation mode or slow your metabolism, in fact there's a lot of data pointing to the opposite. Data not readily available on Google searches because corporations invest in studies that will say you will starve if you eat less. If you eat less you'll live longer, spend less money, think more clearly and maybe one day find the strength and discipline needed to challenge a corrupt system that wants you fat, lazy, stupid, consumerist and busy all the time so you never realize your full potential, explore your psyche and find the temerity to get off of your self absorbed ass to actually help people and make a difference. It's kind of basic- digestion is the most energy consuming thing your body does- when you do less of it you have more energy to live, to contribute, to improve.

This thread is 3 years old.
Original post by Tiger Rag
This thread is 3 years old.

LOL that didn't stop you from replying in 3 seconds. It's still relevant. Thanks for your input.

No, it's not.

I like this up to here

Yes agreed

Yes and no

(Since this old thread has been already bumped...)

Bring back this cucumber. Back when you were cool

Strong post/10

Over 3 years to post a reply and all you could come up with was this toxic reply. Good effort, better luck next time.
Original post by Unistudent77
(Since this old thread has been already bumped...)

Bring back this cucumber. Back when you were cool

Strong post/10

threads don't get big enough anymore to do this mass wrekage

What a terrible post

I doth not know where to start

Fasting is good - no
1000 calorie deficits are good - no
insulting people is a good method - no
Digestion is the most energy consuming your body does - shows a complete lack of knowledge with regards to how the body functions. Like not even close. Digestion is a minor element of energy burning
Original post by noey123
hey guys

i am 17 years old i weigh 63.5 kg and i am 5 foot 6 my aim is to reach 56/55 kg.

is this a good aim? and is 56kg okay for my age and height?

thanks in advance

Mate, you do not need to lose weight. Your ideal bodyweight is 63.8kg for your height and 56kg is officially classified as underweight for your height (56.2 is borderline underweight/healthy. Unless your an amputee or have paralysed limbs, id rather focus on maintaining your weight but improving fitness (muscle definition / density, cardio health, flexibility etc) instead of losing weight.

If your worried about body health, make sure your body fat is between 8 and 10%, your blood pressure is ~120/80mmHg and your heart rate at rest is 60-80 beats a minute, with it raising to around 150 in moderate exercise and 180 in extreme exercise.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by quasa
Mate, you do not need to lose weight. Your ideal bodyweight is 63.8kg for your height and 56kg is officially classified as underweight for your height (56.2 is borderline underweight/healthy. Unless your an amputee or have paralysed limbs, id rather focus on maintaining your weight but improving fitness (muscle definition / density, cardio health, flexibility etc) instead of losing weight.

If your worried about body health, make sure your body fat is between 8 and 10%, your blood pressure is ~120/80mmHg and your heart rate at rest is 60-80 beats a minute, with it raising to around 150 in moderate exercise and 180 in extreme exercise.

hi

lool I made this post when I 17 year old and was a very insecure girl .im now a mature 20 year old and I can assure I'm not as stupid. but thanks, I literally do everything you said x

Quick Reply

Latest