Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, might be a pretty obvious question, but I'm really into astronomy but not so much into physics any more. I really enjoyed all the space unit (obviously), but the elecrticity units just bored me. So I don't take it as a higher. Does that mean I couldn't do an astronomy degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you a Scottish student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    Are you a Scottish student?
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you go to a Scottish Uni you can probably study a couple of physics modules as outside courses in the first year or two which should allow you to transfer to astronomy/astrophysics (assuming your maths grades are good enough). However any decent astronomy/astrophysics degree is going to be very physics heavy, at least for the first few years. Most astrophysics courses that I know are ordinary physics degrees optional modules taken up by astrophysics units.

ReputationRep:
    Quite simply no. Astronomy is a sub-discipline of physics and uses core physical laws to understand how things in space work. Since you're Scottis, I'm guessing you would only be considering Scottish universities as you pay no fees (benefits of a government who care more about our education than fighting wars halfway around the world but that's not the issue). Only 3 universities in Scotland offer the option to study astronomy in some way at undergraduate level:
    Edinburgh - Astrophysics
    Glasgow - Physics and Astronomy or Maths and Astronomy or Physics with Astrophysics
    St Andrews - Astrophysics

If you look at each of these universities entry requirements, you will see that they all require physics (and maths) at higher.

ReputationRep:
    So, it'd be best for me to have physics. Damn... okay, thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.