Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an exam on WednesdayWednesday which includes and unseen poem/prose and poems from the anthology in section C and my exam board is edexcel. I would be very grateful if someone could marl this and give me a mark out of 20 or give me a general grade,
    Thank you
    "Hide and seek" is a poem that has been composed by the poet called Vernon Scannell and throughout the poem, she presents the themes of childhood and isolation- distinctively during a game of "hide and seek"

Firstly, the title "hide and seek" seems to create a theme of childhood instantaneously as the game itself is associated with children. Not only childhood is related, the title could also relate to life itself and this could potentially foreshadow the overall message of the poem which therefore creates a sense of mystery. In addition, it consequently engenders the reader to become intrigued and continue to read on.

In the first few lines, the poet uses sibilance and the evidence to support this is "the sacks in the toolshed smell like the seaside". This quote displays the continuous repetition of the "s" sound and I think that the poet did this to create vivid imagery for the reader to understand and engage with the speakers surroundings making it almost feel real due to the poet also using the sense of smell. The sibilance could also relate to the sound of the sand pouring out of someone's fingers with the constant "hiss" sound. This has an effect on the reader brvause not only it creates imagery, it gives a positive tone to the poem of children playing hide and seek and potentially a kid remembering a fond memory at the seaside.

Throughout the poem, the speaker refers to the seekers as "they" which could make the reader question why they are nameless. The fact that the children remain nameless, creates a sinister tone because the seekers are almost seen as a threat in the game as you have to avoid being found. Furthermore, the speaker characterizes them to be "prowling" and the verb links to the sinister tone of the poem its almost as if they are predators searching for food and this emphasizes how tense the game may be. This has an effect on the reader because as it creates a sense of childhood and refers to sinister things, the reader is able to relate the tense feelings when hiding or to the attitude of the seekers engendering the reader to connect with its inner memories.

The writer also seems to present the theme of isolation through a time stretch in the poem that the speaker experiences and the evidence to support this is "It seems a long time since they went away". This quote displays that he has no knowledge of what time it is and overall it focuses on how "clever" he is rather than thinking about the current situation he is in. This presents the theme of isolation because throughout that time stretch, only his mind was speaking to him which substantiates that no one was near him. The time stretch can also be supported by the personification "the cold bites". This perrsonification emphasizes the sudden change in temperature and the reader is able to interpret that it is become night time. The personification also emphasizes how long the speaker has been hiding for as he also clarifies that his "legs are stiff".

At the end of the poem, the writer has included a relevant question to the current situation and it is "where are they who sought you?". This question creates a sense of mystery as at the end of the poem, the seekers had long gone and the speaker was never found. In addition, the question also exemplifies the isolation because it seems to confirm that no one is there and that the speaker was truly isolated. As the poem ends there, it can be interpreted that the only response to the question is silence itself which therefore emphasizes the isolation the speaker experienced.

As the reader engages with the poem, the poet has writ the poem as one long stanza with no rhyme scheme. I think that the poet may have done this because it was to impersonate the time stretch that the speaker experienced because as the poem is read, it has a flow and a rhythm which related to the clock ticking away like it was in the toolshed. In addition, Also I think the poet made the poem one lone stanza because it would aid the poem in building tension as the game proceeds and this is effective because it makes the poem more interesting and more visual to make it seem more real as thats what the writer was trying to achieve.

Lastly, throughout the poem, the speaker converses in 2nd person although he manages to include direct speech such as "I'm ready!". The use of the words "you" and "your" engenders the reader to engage with the poem as it makes them feel more involved as its directed to them. However the use of the direct speech makes the point of view to be the speakers mind- possibly the actual poet speaking to the narrator and dictating him. This has an effect on the reader because it gives them an understanding of the poets memory that he encountered in a more clear perspective and they are able to understand the purpose of the poem.

Overall, as the poem ends, I personally think the message was meant to be symbolic as it clkuld mean that life does have its ups and downs and that there will always be a time where you will encounter profound disappointment. Furthermore, I think that the poem was writ by Vernon to exemplify maybe a childhood memory that he had

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how to mark this, but here's some general tips:

You need to use far more actual literary techniques. Naming the word group and leaving it at that is not enough. And don't just name the technique, but say how the technique achieves the effect you're talking about. For example, when talking about sibilence, you could say that the repetitions of "S" brings the distant concepts of a shed and the seaside together, in order to reinforce the notion of imagination allowing the child, and how it presents contrast between the isolation of a shed, and the expanse of his imagination or whatever (I don't know I haven't read the poem).

try to use "this" less and refer to the point you're making more.

In terms of form, if you want to talk about time, enjambment is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response ☺ could u give it a mark out of 20?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    "Hide and seek" is a poem that has been composed by the poet called Vernon Scannell and throughout the poem, she presents the themes of childhood and isolation- distinctively during a game of "hide and seek"

Firstly, the title "hide and seek" seems to create a theme of childhood instantaneously as the game itself is associated with children. Not only childhood is related, the title could also relate to life itself and this could potentially foreshadow the overall message of the poem which therefore creates a sense of mystery. [This needs to be clearer] In addition, it consequently engages the reader to become intrigued and continue to read on.

In the first few lines, the poet uses (sibilance) and the evidence to support this is [re-phrase: "for example this is evident in line 2 when Scannell writes:" it's just more impressive that way] "the sacks in the toolshed smell like the seaside". This quote displays the continuous repetition of the "s" sound and I think that the poet did this to create vivid imagery for the reader to understand and engage with the speakers surroundings [the speaker isn't real, it doesn't have surroundings, Scannell does this to connect with the reader] making it almost feel real due to the poet also using the sense of smell [include the term: sensory language]. The sibilance could also relate to the sound of the sand pouring out of someone's fingers with the constant "hiss" sound. This has an effect on the reader because not only it creates imagery, it gives a positive tone to the poem of children playing hide and seek and potentially a kid remembering a fond memory at the seaside.

Throughout the poem, the speaker refers to the seekers as "they" which could make the reader question why they are nameless[interesting]. The fact that the children remain nameless, creates a sinister tone because the seekers are almost seen as a threat in the game as you have to avoid being found. Furthermore, the speaker characterizes them to be "prowling" and the verb links to the sinister tone of the poem its almost as if they are predators searching for food and this emphasizes how tense the game may be. This has an effect on the reader because as it creates a sense of childhood and refers to sinister thing[your contradicting yourself here], the reader is able to relate the tense feelings when hiding or to the attitude of the seekers engaging the reader to connect with its inner memories.

The writer also seems to present the theme of isolation through a time stretch in the poem that the speaker experiences and the evidence to support this is "It seems a long time since they went away". This quote displays that he has no knowledge of what time it is and overall it focuses on how "clever" he is rather than thinking about the current situation he is in. This presents the theme of isolation because throughout that time stretch, only his mind was speaking to him which substantiates that no one was near him. The time stretch can also be supported by the personification "the cold bites". This personification emphasizes the sudden change in temperature and the reader is able to interpret that it is become night time. The personification also emphasizes how long the speaker has been hiding for as he also clarifies that his "legs are stiff".[now link this back to isolation as at the start of your paragraph]

At the end of the poem, the writer has included a relevant question to the current situation and it is "where are they who sought you?". This question creates a sense of mystery as at the end of the poem, the seekers had long gone [evidence for this? Put it in] and the speaker was never found. In addition, the question also exemplifies the isolation because it seems to confirm that no one is there and that the speaker was truly isolated. As the poem ends there, it can be interpreted that the only response to the question is silence itself which therefore paradoxically emphasizes the isolation the speaker experienced.

As the reader engages with the poem, the poet has written the poem as one long stanza with no rhyme scheme. I think that the poet may have done this because it was to impersonate the time stretch that the speaker experienced because as the poem is read, it has a flow and a rhythm which related to the clock ticking away like it was in the tools [there is no clock in the toolshed, but what about talking about the lack of the concept of time, how the persona loses track of time] . In addition, Also I think the poet made the poem one lone stanza because it would aid the poem in building tension as the game proceeds and this is effective because it makes the poem more interesting and more visual to make it seem more real as that's what the writer was trying to achieve.

Lastly, throughout the poem, the speaker converses in 2nd person although he manages to include direct speech such as "I'm ready!". The use of the words "you" and "your" engages the reader as if it was directed to them, and thus allows the reader to be connected further to the poem and persona. However the use of the direct speech makes the point of view to be within the speakers mind-possibly the actual poet speaking to the narrator and dictating him [remove]. This has an effect on the reader because it gives them an understanding of the persona's memory that he/she encountered in a more clear perspective and they are able to understand the purpose of the poem.

Overall, as the poem ends, I personally think the message was meant to be symbolic as it could mean that life does have its ups and downs and that there will always be a time where you will encounter profound disappointment. Furthermore, I think that the poem was written by Vernon Scannell possibly to exemplify maybe [remove] a childhood memory that he had.

Not bad [16/20],
    Have a look at some past mark schemes to allow you to understand what is required for the next band. I got an A* at on unit last year. Perhaps talk about the sudden change in the middle of the poem, not just the time gap but also the contrast between the first and second half of the poem despite it all being in the one stanza. Also you might consider the relationship between the persona and his seekers, were they really his friends? How he/she feels superior to them, how none of the characters have names. You have some interesting arguments but you need to develop them further by linking them to the original point you made in the paragraph or use more appropriate quotes and use them! Don't just use a quote and then forget about it, pick out one or two words out of your original quote and talk about why that word is significant. Otherwise well done.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice ☺ I greatly appreciate your detailed response and well done for the A* in Uni 😲😆

ReputationRep:
    It is a very good analysis, which I would give an A for at least but I would say like the others before me, use more literacy techniques and DISCUSS them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by witchpls)
    I have an exam on WednesdayWednesday which includes and unseen poem/prose and poems from the anthology in section C and my exam board is edexcel. I would be very grateful if someone could marl this and give me a mark out of 20 or give me a general grade,
    Thank you

Firstly, the title "hide and seek" seems to create a theme of childhood instantaneously as the game itself is associated with children. Not only childhood is related, the title could also relate to life itself and this could potentially foreshadow the overall message of the poem which therefore creates a sense of mystery. In addition, it consequently engenders the reader to become intrigued and continue to read on.

In the first few lines, the poet uses sibilance and the evidence to support this is "the sacks in the toolshed smell like the seaside". This quote displays the continuous repetition of the "s" sound and I think that the poet did this to create vivid imagery for the reader to understand and engage with the speakers surroundings making it almost feel real due to the poet also using the sense of smell. The sibilance could also relate to the sound of the sand pouring out of someone's fingers with the constant "hiss" sound. This has an effect on the reader brvause not only it creates imagery, it gives a positive tone to the poem of children playing hide and seek and potentially a kid remembering a fond memory at the seaside.

Throughout the poem, the speaker refers to the seekers as "they" which could make the reader question why they are nameless. The fact that the children remain nameless, creates a sinister tone because the seekers are almost seen as a threat in the game as you have to avoid being found. Furthermore, the speaker characterizes them to be "prowling" and the verb links to the sinister tone of the poem its almost as if they are predators searching for food and this emphasizes how tense the game may be. This has an effect on the reader because as it creates a sense of childhood and refers to sinister things, the reader is able to relate the tense feelings when hiding or to the attitude of the seekers engendering the reader to connect with its inner memories.

The writer also seems to present the theme of isolation through a time stretch in the poem that the speaker experiences and the evidence to support this is "It seems a long time since they went away". This quote displays that he has no knowledge of what time it is and overall it focuses on how "clever" he is rather than thinking about the current situation he is in. This presents the theme of isolation because throughout that time stretch, only his mind was speaking to him which substantiates that no one was near him. The time stretch can also be supported by the personification "the cold bites". This perrsonification emphasizes the sudden change in temperature and the reader is able to interpret that it is become night time. The personification also emphasizes how long the speaker has been hiding for as he also clarifies that his "legs are stiff".

At the end of the poem, the writer has included a relevant question to the current situation and it is "where are they who sought you?". This question creates a sense of mystery as at the end of the poem, the seekers had long gone and the speaker was never found. In addition, the question also exemplifies the isolation because it seems to confirm that no one is there and that the speaker was truly isolated. As the poem ends there, it can be interpreted that the only response to the question is silence itself which therefore emphasizes the isolation the speaker experienced.

As the reader engages with the poem, the poet has writ the poem as one long stanza with no rhyme scheme. I think that the poet may have done this because it was to impersonate the time stretch that the speaker experienced because as the poem is read, it has a flow and a rhythm which related to the clock ticking away like it was in the toolshed. In addition, Also I think the poet made the poem one lone stanza because it would aid the poem in building tension as the game proceeds and this is effective because it makes the poem more interesting and more visual to make it seem more real as thats what the writer was trying to achieve.

Lastly, throughout the poem, the speaker converses in 2nd person although he manages to include direct speech such as "I'm ready!". The use of the words "you" and "your" engenders the reader to engage with the poem as it makes them feel more involved as its directed to them. However the use of the direct speech makes the point of view to be the speakers mind- possibly the actual poet speaking to the narrator and dictating him. This has an effect on the reader because it gives them an understanding of the poets memory that he encountered in a more clear perspective and they are able to understand the purpose of the poem.

Overall, as the poem ends, I personally think the message was meant to be symbolic as it clkuld mean that life does have its ups and downs and that there will always be a time where you will encounter profound disappointment. Furthermore, I think that the poem was writ by Vernon to exemplify maybe a childhood memory that he had
    I'm in no way qualified, but I'd give this about 10/20, or at GCSE around a C.
    Some things I noticed:
    Vernon Scannell is a man, yet you've called him 'she'.
    Don't say 'by the poet called...' this sounds like it's from a children's book.
    You say 'the evidence to support this is...' a couple of times. Try not to do this. Try to incorporate the quotes into your writing somehow, e.g. "the sibilance of 'the sacks in the toolshed smell like the seaside' indicates that..."
    'Writ' is never, never, never a verb. It is a largely legal word that you will probably never have to use. Essentially, you should remove this word from your vocabulary - I cannot think of a single instance at your level (i.e. a GCSE student) where you would need to use this word. It does not mean "written". If you write it, you will lose marks. Sorry if that sounded a little over the top or mean, but seriously...never use it.
    Remember when you quote you also have to quote capitals. You've named the poem 'Hide and seek' and 'hide and seek' when it is probably supposed to be 'Hide and Seek'.
    Instead of saying 'the poet' or 'the writer' over and over again, you can simply refer to him as 'Scannell'.

Your analysis gets stronger towards the end and if you remember to proof read, there is no reason why you couldn't bump this up to a B, or even an A.
    Bear in mind I'm quite a harsh marker - I always have been - but that's probably for the best.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I ended up getting an A* in literature 🙌thank you for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.