Best footwear for gym?

Watch
vivaronaldoo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What do you wear to the gym (footwear). Which is best for doing
everything at the gym. I heard running shoes is not appropriate for weights etc.
MaisieY
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like Asics trainers, they're pretty expensive but are Sooo comfortable, light and last years

Posted from TSR Mobile
slothgal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
nike free runs are perfect for the gym
marcusmerehay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MaisieY)
I like Asics trainers, they're pretty expensive but are Sooo comfortable, light and last years

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with this - i'm about to replace my Asics after 5 years and they've been used for gym work, badminton, 5-a-side, tennis, cycling (commuting) and even working in a greasy kitchen!
0range
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use my converses for weight lifting
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wear Adidas Superstar 2s. They're alright.
ChillGod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're doing compound lifting, flat shoes would be best. Converse is a good one.

if it's not compound lifting, wear whatever. I enjoy Roshes and Adi flux
iAmanze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Goodness me, wear ANY trainers you have.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't wear trainer to lift. They put a squishy layer between your feet and the ground when you want to feel solidly glued to the ground, it's counter productive. Lift in socks, flat shoes (like converse/cheap rip offs) or proper weightlifting shoes- nothing else is sensible.

If you are going to run and lift in the same session then you either take your shoes off for the cardio or switch to another pair. You can't really expect one shoe to be suitable for two such different activities

I have regular trainers, lifting shoes and rip off converse and usually take at least two of them to the gym with me
vivaronaldoo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by iAmanze)
Go home.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
Don't wear trainer to lift. They put a squishy layer between your feet and the ground when you want to feel solidly glued to the ground, it's counter productive. Lift in socks, flat shoes (like converse/cheap rip offs) or proper weightlifting shoes- nothing else is sensible.

If you are going to run and lift in the same session then you either take your shoes off for the cardio or switch to another pair. You can't really expect one shoe to be suitable for two such different activities

I have regular trainers, lifting shoes and rip off converse and usually take at least two of them to the gym with me
I don't think running shoes are as much of a problem to lift in as people think. I do an Upper/Lower split and on my first upper day I go for a run as well, so just go to the gym in my running shoes. With bench variations, machine exercises and arm isolation, I'm not really affected negatively by not wearing other shoes. The only lifts I take the shoes off for are BB rows and OHP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
iamu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i use nike flyknits and free runs. Sometimes squat/deadlift in them or just do it in socks
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
I don't think running shoes are as much of a problem to lift in as people think. I do an Upper/Lower split and on my first upper day I go for a run as well, so just go to the gym in my running shoes. With bench variations, machine exercises and arm isolation, I'm not really affected negatively by not wearing other shoes. The only lifts I take the shoes off for are BB rows and OHP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mind so much for bench though I've recently took to liking oly shoes for the heel, gets my foot technically on the floor whilst further under. OHP I do need socks/converse. Machines and arm stuff don't count as lifting But generally, yeah, it is more lower body it matters
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iAmanze)
I was told not to do this. I have a pair of trainers for everyday wear, a few pairs for running and a pair for the gym.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are not single best pair of shoes to wear for everything that you can do in the gym. For weights, weightlifting shoes are obviously the best; for running you'll likely need a much softer shoe.
simon_g
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
pt-03 or pt-1000 for running (together with superfeet insoles) + cheap copies of converse for weight lifting
sarahmitch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It kind of depends on what you do at the gym. I do cardio then lift weights. I also have wide and flat feet so I wear a specific Ascics shoe, and instead of bringing multiple shoes I just wear my running shoes. If you are specifically weight lifting then I agree with others here that Nike Frees and Converses are good.
Eddie3ed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends for running some decent running shoes. For lifts like squat and deadlift your better off wearing no shoes while doing those exercises.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed