Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm in Year 11 and I am having to decide whether to stay at sixth form or go to college. I'm looking for advice because there are some things which probably shouldn't be affecting my decision, but are, and I just can't factor them out myself. I'm considering staying at sixth form because (reason one) my crush . I would definitely see a lot more of him - we'd be put into the same form room and maybe a lesson or two and I'd have a lot more chances of talking to him. Another reason is that I am already comfortable and know my way around the school - I know where I'm going, I know the teachers etc. I'm considering college because I will hopefully meet new people and make some new friends. It's a different place so it will make a nice change and/but I will be distanced from my crush. Where should I go? or how can I choose?xx

ReputationRep:
    September last year, I moved to a different sixth form because I had a crush on someone. Two weeks into the first term, I moved back to my old sixth form because I disliked the new one.

You have reasonable reasons for staying and leaving but I think you should do what will benefit you the most.

ReputationRep:
    The first point shouldn't affect your decision. You should choose the one you will do best in, regardless of where your crush is.
    Your second point is valid and is a good positive point for staying in the sixth form. You will already know your way around and know the teachers and most of the students and are settled there.
    On the other hand, college will be a complete change, you will meet new people etc.. Personally, I think the atmosphere at college is better and you get a lot more respect as a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShauneeL)
    So, I'm in Year 11 and I am having to decide whether to stay at sixth form or go to college. I'm looking for advice because there are some things which probably shouldn't be affecting my decision, but are, and I just can't factor them out myself. I'm considering staying at sixth form because (reason one) my crush . I would definitely see a lot more of him - we'd be put into the same form room and maybe a lesson or two and I'd have a lot more chances of talking to him. Another reason is that I am already comfortable and know my way around the school - I know where I'm going, I know the teachers etc. I'm considering college because I will hopefully meet new people and make some new friends. It's a different place so it will make a nice change and/but I will be distanced from my crush. Where should I go? or how can I choose?xx

College. Any day of the week.

I was pretty much forced to college by my school (waited 3 hours to see someone about my timetable that had 2 subjects on it - very bare - who said they couldn't offer me half of my choices, so I voted with my feet).
    It was very sad, as I didn't even get a chance to say good bye to anyone - from speaking to the head of sixth, it was straight on the phone to my mother, to the office of the careers advisor, and then my mother came in to speak with the careers advisor at the end of the day. The next day, I enrolled at a college, some thirty miles away.

Despite this, it's by far the best decision I have ever made. I am always with people that are studying the same subjects as me - they are the only people you really engage with in college. I've made more friends there than I ever did at school. There's usually far more freedom. Student-teacher relationship is a professional friendship (slightly like colleague to colleague, but with a tad more respect), than solely professional.
    It is also a really good prep for Uni - the last major transition for most people is to comp, and that's with friends. To Uni, it's unlikely you'll go with friends, so it's really good practise for that.
    I occasionally get feelings of going back, but speaking with others who stayed, they often say how I've "escaped" from what the school is becoming.
    Lovers come and go. If you are deeply 'crushed' with them, try and get into a relationship - which will stay hopefully at College and for future life.
    As Judge Judy once said: "Beauty fades. Dumb lasts forever." Don't stay for something that may fade. Do the right thing. Do the thing you'll never regret.
    Whatever that is, I wish you good luck.

(Sorry for the length, you can tell I'be got 5 essays - each of 1,000 words (of which I've done zilch) due by Wednesday.)

ReputationRep:
    I personally think choosing to stay because your crush is there is a bad idea - who knows if you'll still like him in 2 weeks, let alone in 2 years! Your other reasons are perfectly acceptable though (they were what made me decide to stay at my school's sixth form instead of going to somewhere new).

This is a difficult choice to make so I'm going to say what my teachers and parents said to me: look at the courses the sixth form/colleges you're looking at offer. One place might teach completely different content to the other and that can really help you decide what to do. When I was looking at sixth forms, I had to weigh up between doing Hitler & Stalin + Charles I at my old school for History, or doing the French Revolution and USA 1914 - 1950 at a different school. Hopefully you'll find what's right for you!

Good luck with your decision and with your GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbutterjam)
    September last year, I moved to a different sixth form because I had a crush on someone. Two weeks into the first term, I moved back to my old sixth form because I disliked the new one.

You have reasonable reasons for staying and leaving but I think you should do what will benefit you the most.
    you can leave a sixth form in the first few weeks to go back to your old one???

ReputationRep:
    I chose college because the teachers at my school could not teach A-level work well enough, loads of people were failing.

Also because its nice to go for a change..

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm year 13 now, but I had such a hard time deciding between staying at my school, where everyone knew me, my boyfriend was, where I had friends and where I was successful, and moving to a whole new college.

I moved and frankly, one of the best decisions I ever made! The guy I was dating broke up with me even though my new college was a 10 minute walk from his house, a few of my friends remained in contact, but I made some amazing new friends and I have gained so much confidence. Sure, at times I really wished I hadn't gone, because I was no longer the girl everyone knew, I was just another girl in a massive college. But now, after a year and a half, I've realised that despite it being hard, I wouldn't change it for the world, there's too many people for me to meet! I would've been bored staying, plus I wouldn't have met my current boyfriend who was a whole step up from my ex! You never know - you might find a guy you like better than your crush! Feel free to ask me anything, I will try and answer honestly as I know this is a hell of a choice!

Quick edit - if your school is anything like mine, they would've taken me back no matter what, so my advice is take advantage of that! If you really hate the college, you can always go back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahel)
    you can leave a sixth form in the first few weeks to go back to your old one???
    I assumed you could with all sixth forms as long as you don't join in too late. Two weeks in and I had missed so much content.

ReputationRep:
    You should choose Colleges or Grammar Sixth forms because the teacher will be experienced and well qualified.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.