Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Russell Brand claims the Media & the West are responsible for Paris Terror watch

ReputationRep:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8Y0WpbfZw

I think Brand is well and truly 'gone' on this one. His ignorance on this issue is startling to be frank. What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I'd praise anyone who has enough time to trawl through the video and pull it apart because there's just so much material here.

The worst thing is the number of views and amount of likes he gets.

ReputationRep:
    He represents everything that's wrong with the trendy, Islington-dwelling left at the moment (coming from someone who is quite left-wing).

ReputationRep:
    He's an idiot. Are you surprised?

ReputationRep:
    he's a legend

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this about people that hate on Russel Brand.

They attack him for presenting an opinion rather than criticising the opinion itself.

Not that I agree with everything he says but attacking him in such a way is quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    He's an idiot. Are you surprised?
    I'm not surprised, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenorebrem)

They attack him for presenting an opinion rather than criticising the opinion itself.

Not that I agree with everything he says but attacking him in such a way is quite pathetic.
    I literally don't have the time to go through his videos and point out everything that is wrong with what he says. It's just lies. I could write a trilogy based on a single video. It's not pathetic, he's just an idiot

ReputationRep:

It's difficult to attack an opinion when he waffles so much.

Have you actually tried to piece together what comes out of his mouth? It's like trying to make sense out of a somebody possessed

ReputationRep:
    Russell Brand is the supreme idiot.

ReputationRep:
    He's a zealous convert to the perpetual awkward squad that opposes everything this country does or stands for, not for any purpose or as a result of some logic, but just on principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    It's difficult to attack an opinion when he waffles so much.

Have you actually tried to piece together what comes out of his mouth? It's like trying to make sense out of a somebody possessed
    Tbf he does go on about some spirituality nonsense but I think his overall message is far more accurate than a lot of news corporations.

ReputationRep:

I thought we were being quite specific here. Blame does not blame with the west on this it lies with the people who took to firing upon innocent people, and to a degree the ideology that inspired them. As a general rule what you say may be true, but not so much in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I thought we were being quite specific here. Blame does not blame with the west on this it lies with the people who took to firing upon innocent people, and to a degree the ideology that inspired them. As a general rule what you say may be true, but not so much in this case.
    Yes but your conclusions arise from the most obvious observations.

The increasing frequency of attacks by Muslims would suggest that the fundamental reason for these attacks would be Islam. But hang on a minute, the Torah, Bible and Quran are equally as hateful as each other. So it can't just be that the Quran is causing this.

I wonder what other reason two men, from a terrorist organisation that formed as a consequence of a pointless invasion by our country, would have, to kill civilians from an allied country, who were openly insulting their religion?

Yh it was probably because they were crazy muslims.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    He's a zealous convert to the perpetual awkward squad that opposes everything this country does or stands for, not for any purpose or as a result of some logic, but just on principle.
    Agreed. I find it quite irritating when the Brands of this world (tbh UKIP aren't far off being perpetually awkward either) imply that everything is a conspiracy and the country is going down the drain, everything is awful and we need a revolution.

In fact, we are more free, better housed, better clothed, better educated, healthier, longer lived, more technologically adept and more tolerant than we have ever been (and by those measures, surely our political class has served us reasonably well?). The society we have now is a marvel compared to what we had even a hundred years. Life is actually pretty darn good.

That the Brandites of the world can't see that suggests they lack all sense of perspective and proportion

ReputationRep:
    But hang on a minute, the Torah, Bible and Quran are equally as hateful as each other
    And yet, we don't see Christians suicide bombing one another's cathedrals in the way different Muslim sects are suicide bombing one another's mosques. Why do you think that is? Is it America's fault?

I wonder what other reason two men, from a terrorist organisation that formed as a consequence of a pointless invasion by our country, would have, to kill civilians from an allied country
    That makes no sense. France openly opposed the war in Iraq.

who were openly insulting their religion?
    And finally we get to the nub of the issue. These revolting murderers believed that they had the right to end someone else's life merely for the opinions they had expressed. That is the most revoltingly arrogant and disgusting egotism I can imagine

ReputationRep:
    Yes but your conclusions arise from the most obvious observations.

The increasing frequency of attacks by Muslims would suggest that the fundamental reason for these attacks would be Islam. But hang on a minute, the Torah, Bible and Quran are equally as hateful as each other. So it can't just be that the Quran is causing this.

I wonder what other reason two men, from a terrorist organisation that formed as a consequence of a pointless invasion by our country, would have, to kill civilians from an allied country, who were openly insulting their religion?

Yh it was probably because they were crazy muslims.

:facepalm:
    Except the difference is you don't see christians mowing down people who insult them with AK47s. They are a group that is heavily persecuted in places like Iraq and Syria and yet you don't see them committing terrible acts of violence in revenge.

And more than this, irrespective of provocation this sort of response is in absolutely no way justified. And the idea that we should even consider laying any substantial amount of blame on the west as a result is both insensitive and inaccurate. Whatever the provocation it doesn't justify this response. If I as a christian am insulted by anything you say it doesn't grant me the right to murder you does it?

ReputationRep:
    Brand is a naive, sanctimonious apologist (but well-meaning, I'm sure). He's trendy with the kids and his rhetoric 'sounds' good to his lefty, young, anarchist audience, but his arguments don't exactly hold up to scrutiny. It's just waffle.

This guy should stick to acting and comedy, and avoid politics. He's clearly much better at one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Y
    I wonder what other reason two men, from a terrorist organisation that formed as a consequence of a pointless invasion by our country
    By the way, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula did not form in response to the American invasion of Iraq, it predated it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Except the difference is you don't see christians mowing down people who insult them with AK47s. They are a group that is heavily persecuted in places like Iraq and Syria and yet you don't see them committing terrible acts of violence in revenge.

And more than this, irrespective of provocation this sort of response is in absolutely no way justified. And the idea that we should even consider laying any substantial amount of blame on the west as a result is both insensitive and inaccurate. Whatever the provocation it doesn't justify this response. If I as a christian am insulted by anything you say it doesn't grant me the right to murder you does it?
    Of course this isn't meant to be a justification. But we do need to understand how to prevent further attacks else the next time, casualties may go into the 1000's.

I just wish that this country could openly accept responsibility for what we have done to Iraq, and do the best we can to fix this problem we have created, rather than pretending our hands are clean whenever ISIS carry out an attack.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.