x Turn on thread page Beta

Strength training watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Is it necessary for obese people who're losing tons of stone of fat through cardio?

I'm aware of the health benefits of strength training but am currently planning to work on it when I'm chubby as opposed to very overweight/obese.

I don't have the confidence to train at the gym (have failed many times) while fat so any strength training would be bw stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Any sort of net daily calorie intake below your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is ideal, whether that's obtained through strength training or cardio is frankly irrelevant.

Personally I used a mixture of the two when I did it - as long as you're committed and consistent you should have no issues. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    First of all, cardio is not good for fat burning, it is called cardio for a reason. It builds your cardiovascular system, thus making you good at endurance events and helps overall health.

Weight loss is 100% in carbs in vs carbs out.

Strength training is good, however would make you look fatter as you will gain some muscle mass on top of the fat. If you don't mind that then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    First of all, cardio is not good for fat burning, it is called cardio for a reason. It builds your cardiovascular system, thus making you good at endurance events and helps overall health.

Strength training is good, however would make you look fatter as you will gain some muscle mass on top of the fat. If you don't mind that then go for it.
    If you're running a calorie deficit you won't gain muscle mass, maybe some strength gains though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    If you're running a calorie deficit you won't gain muscle mass, maybe some strength gains though.
    I don't feel that is completely correct, you will not have optimal muscle mass growth, yes, but you will still have growth. (If at least 100g of protein is consumed)
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Oh, sorry.

I'm aware of what I need to do to lose weight. It should say in my signature but I've lost ~ 31 pounds so far from my peak weight. I've no problem calorie restricting or doing cardio.

I just wonder if there are any good reasons to add strength training into the mix.

It certainly wouldn't be worth it for aesthetic reasons. I'm not going to change my macros so my protein intake will just be what it is so no muscle gain. And even if I did tighten up what I have, it wouldn't be apparent beneath all the fat I have ontop.

ReputationRep:

Cardio burns calories, more calories burned results in a higher TDEE, a higher TDEE results in more fat being burned, assuming calorie intake stays the same.

Weight loss is 100% calories in VS calories out.

ReputationRep:
    If you've never lifted then you can still make noob strength gains whilst loosing weight. A lot of it is learning the movement- you'll squat more if you can do it with decent technique every time. So I'd argue if lifting is part of your longer term plan then there's no good reason not to do it now.

But if the gym is intimidating now I don't think it necessarily will be any less so when you're less fat, you're still going to feel small and weak if you're going to let yourself think like that. I think people build it up too much in their head and letting that go on is a whole negative thought cycle being developed about the gym. In reality, people usually need to suck it up and try it so they can quickly realise it's not that bad. You might feel a bit out of place at first but once you feel like you know what you're doing you'll probably realise you were being silly not to go.

BW stuff is easier the leaner you are, the difference is huge. Lifting is better generally but even more so when you are overweight because it provides a means of creating progression more easily and everything is about progression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Cardio burns calories, more calories burned results in a higher TDEE, a higher TDEE results in more fat being burned, assuming calorie intake stays the same.

Weight loss is 100% calories in VS calories out.
    Lol cardio will burn like 100 calories each time. Why not just not eat the kitkat and it's much better. Diet > cardio anyday.

ReputationRep:
    Lol cardio will burn like 100 calories each time. Why not just not eat the kitkat and it's much better. Diet > cardio anyday.
    You obviously do your cardio wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously do your cardio wrong.
    7% body fat, I don't think so. I was exaggerating a little, more realistically around 500 calories (differing from person to person). That is if you could like jog for 1 hour straight.

However, cardio makes you want to eat, you will most probably eat the 500 calories you burnt back, if not more.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Is it necessary for obese people who're losing tons of stone of fat through cardio?

I'm aware of the health benefits of strength training but am currently planning to work on it when I'm chubby as opposed to very overweight/obese.

I don't have the confidence to train at the gym (have failed many times) while fat so any strength training would be bw stuff.
    Not it's not necessary at this time. It will help with increasing the number of calories you burn a day, much in the way cardio would do. You could build some muscle as you reduce weight as BKS has pointed out

In has nothing to do with carbs in vs carbs out

It wouldn't make OP look fatter either
    Lol

Depends entirely on how hard you do cardio and for how long

7% body fat, I don't think so. I was exaggerating a little, more realistically around 500 calories (differing from person to person). That is if you could like jog for 1 hour straight.

However, cardio makes you want to eat, you will most probably eat the 500 calories you burnt back, if not more.
    I've run a marathon

I can guarentee that I burnt more than 500 calories whilst doing it.

And that's cardio

And no cardio doesn't make you want to eat, it's all in your head

ReputationRep:
    Cardio kills my appetite completely.

IIRC Lyle McDonald recommends light cardio during his PSMF simply due to it reducing appetite, not to burn additional calories(which is an added 'benefit')

Only time cardio made me want to eat was when I ran 10miles fasted in 25 degree heat the other summer, got ridiculous dehydration, almost blacked out and got full lowerbody cramp when I stopped running. Was simply a case of craving sugar/water due to low blood sugar/really bad dehydration. Other than that, zero appetite increase even when doing 10k+ runs, usually had the opposite effect.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BKS)
    If you've never lifted then you can still make noob strength gains whilst loosing weight. A lot of it is learning the movement- you'll squat more if you can do it with decent technique every time. So I'd argue if lifting is part of your longer term plan then there's no good reason not to do it now.

But if the gym is intimidating now I don't think it necessarily will be any less so when you're less fat, you're still going to feel small and weak if you're going to let yourself think like that. I think people build it up too much in their head and letting that go on is a whole negative thought cycle being developed about the gym. In reality, people usually need to suck it up and try it so they can quickly realise it's not that bad. You might feel a bit out of place at first but once you feel like you know what you're doing you'll probably realise you were being silly not to go.

BW stuff is easier the leaner you are, the difference is huge. Lifting is better generally but even more so when you are overweight because it provides a means of creating progression more easily and everything is about progression.
    I used to lift regularly around the 14/15 mark. I've done spots of it since then.

The issue is not being weak compared to the the macho rhinos who grunt and throw weights on the floor. It's about being overweight and being insecure about all the flab.

However, as I do plan to do weights when I'm slimmer to build strength for sports I'd like to partake in, I guess you're right in that it'd make sense to begin while I lose weight. Perhaps I can look at doing it after c25k when I'm comfortably running regularly.

If BW stuff is easier when lighter, isn't it really good to do when heavy?

I imagine it'd depend on the activity level and the duration.

Very impressive. I'm probably about 40% body fat.

(Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Not it's not necessary at this time. It will help with increasing the number of calories you burn a day, much in the way cardio would do. You could build some muscle as you reduce weight as BKS has pointed out
    I thought as much.

Building muscle beneath the blub does seem like a waste but I think I'm convinced to have another go at the gym, just for the sake of getting into a routine for when I'm leaner.

Cardio kills my appetite completely.

IIRC Lyle McDonald recommends light cardio during his PSMF simply due to it reducing appetite, not to burn additional calories(which is an added 'benefit')
    This, I totally agree with. Fatigue, boredom and bad moods make me feel hungry. Not really exercise.
    And if I do feel hungry after exercise, something simple and small will usually stop the pang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    If BW stuff is easier when lighter, isn't it really good to do when heavy?
    It's probably too hard is the issue. Depends just how overweight you are really. You can do easier progressions like push ups on knees and negative pull ups though.

It's always rubbish for training legs
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BKS)
    It's probably too hard is the issue. Depends just how overweight you are really. You can do easier progressions like push ups on knees and negative pull ups though.

It's always rubbish for training legs
    Pushups I can do. Though pullups are a killer :nothing:.

ReputationRep:

If lifting doesn't make you want to eat a ****ing horse you're doing it wrong. Last time I lifted I ate a tub of Ben and Jerries whilst cooking dinner. Come at me.

ReputationRep:

1 hour on the treadmill burns 850 calories for me. I have never 'eaten back' calories. Everything that I eat fits into my daily calorie requirements, and quite often I find that I have to eat more than usual to stop my calorie deficit from being too large i.e. >500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    If lifting doesn't make you want to eat a ****ing horse you're doing it wrong. Last time I lifted I ate a tub of Ben and Jerries whilst cooking dinner. Come at me.
    I'm never hungry after lifting. Am I doing it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

In has nothing to do with carbs in vs carbs out

It wouldn't make OP look fatter either

Lol

Depends entirely on how hard you do cardio and for how long

I've run a marathon

I can guarentee that I burnt more than 500 calories whilst doing it.

And that's cardio

And no cardio doesn't make you want to eat, it's all in your head
    I completely agree with you for once

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.