Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bout ye all

I am currently in my second year at uni and I have been thinking extensively about what I want to do when (if) I graduate. I have a big urge to spend the first few years volunteering in other countries for those who need help, whether that be other people or animals. However I find the usual ways to volunteer abroad very expensive and I want to volunteer for a number of years.

Anyone have any advice on any other ways to get involved with volunteering and helping out the less fortunate?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I think a good idea is find some time to volunteer locally for the time being (there is so much help needed!) and see what roles you prefer. You can volunteer at summer camps for kids, find an eco-project, work in a charity shop, being a befriender, pretty much anything! Though if you're definitely set on volunteering abroad I'd recommend finding a UK based charity or organisation, that is trusted and maybe do some research on TSR. It's also good to plan early and don't leave fundraising too long as it can get quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisamb)
    I think a good idea is find some time to volunteer locally for the time being (there is so much help needed!) and see what roles you prefer. You can volunteer at summer camps for kids, find an eco-project, work in a charity shop, being a befriender, pretty much anything! Though if you're definitely set on volunteering abroad I'd recommend finding a UK based charity or organisation, that is trusted and maybe do some research on TSR. It's also good to plan early and don't leave fundraising too long as it can get quite expensive.
    Thank you for your reply :-) Yeah they are some real good suggestions, It's also a very valid point that there is a lot of help needed locally, ill keep that in mind!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.