Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For physics, I've heard quite a few people say its extortionate at Imperial, but wouldn't it be as high at other unis (e.g Manchester or UCL) ? I'm trying to work out which of these to firm so any insights would be welcome
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Imperial will probably be higher than Manchester and UCL, but make sure you don't firm just yet...you still have quite a lot of time left...there's no advantage to firm-ing early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Yeah Imperial will probably be higher than Manchester and UCL, but make sure you don't firm just yet...you still have quite a lot of time left...there's no advantage to firm-ing early
    How do you know this out of interest ()and does it mean Imperial graduates will have more skills/knowledge/employability than Manchester/UCL graduates in physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    How do you know this out of interest ()and does it mean Imperial graduates will have more skills/knowledge/employability than Manchester/UCL graduates in physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Imperial is one of the strongest science and technology universities in the world...it's very likely they have a high workload. I've seen people on TSR talking about Imperial's high workload for other subjects too.

In terms of knowledge, graduates will probably be very similar. UCL Imperial and Manchester are all research heavy universities so they again will be even...(although imperial research is one of the best in the world)...

However Imperial has a stronger reputation than UCL and Manchester (though not by too much) so Imperial graduates might have an edge in terms of employability...although it depends on what field of employment we are talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Imperial is one of the strongest science and technology universities in the world...it's very likely they have a high workload. I've seen people on TSR talking about Imperial's high workload for other subjects too.

In terms of knowledge, graduates will probably be very similar. UCL Imperial and Manchester are all research heavy universities so they again will be even...(although imperial research is one of the best in the world)...

However Imperial has a stronger reputation than UCL and Manchester (though not by too much) so Imperial graduates might have an edge in terms of employability...although it depends on what field of employment we are talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I'm most interested in going into scientific research/astrophysics etc but going for a job in computing/energy are also possibilities (wouldn't be interested in finance in the slightest)...Would Imperial give any benefits with regards to employability in these areas?

Also, why would Imperial give a higher workload if it produces the same quality graduates for physics as Manchester/UCL and the fact the proportion of graduates it has gaining 2.1/1st is more or less the same as the other 2?

ReputationRep:
    I get your question. the general knowledge of average graduates are similar (you are taught similar things in undergrad usually), but Imperial probably got more elites. (feel free to tell me I'm wrong) They are trained hard - Imperial has a higher workload yes, and I believe it may be one of the reason why Imperial's starting salary is the highest in the country (higher than Oxbridge, UCL, or any other universities), and even subject wise higher than the UCL and Manchester, and quite often Oxbridge. (Check unistats) The research is also more reputable in Imperial than UCL or Manchester, and I suppose that's where hard work pay off. In general, quality won't differ much, but Imperial will have the advantages in employment prospects, salary, and research reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosaceae2)
    I get your question. the general knowledge of average graduates are similar (you are taught similar things in undergrad usually), but Imperial probably got more elites. (feel free to tell me I'm wrong) They are trained hard - Imperial has a higher workload yes, and I believe it may be one of the reason why Imperial's starting salary is the highest in the country (higher than Oxbridge, UCL, or any other universities), and even subject wise higher than the UCL and Manchester, and quite often Oxbridge. (Check unistats) The research is also more reputable in Imperial than UCL or Manchester, and I suppose that's where hard work pay off. In general, quality won't differ much, but Imperial will have the advantages in employment prospects, salary, and research reputation.
    But I've heard that the only reason why Imperial has a really high starting salary is because a lot of people go into finance (where a lot of the highest paying jobs are)..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.