Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Men..does lack of make up and jewellery really bother you? watch

Im female and don't like wearing make up as it makes me feel too 'dressed up' and I just don't like the feel of it after a while on my face. I've never worn it along with high heels or dresses. I can still dress like a female in leggings and long tops though it's not like I'm in jeans and body's all the time. My boyfriend keeps commenting though when we go out that I've no make up on. He said that make up and jewellery do make women look more attractive. He also points out that heels would really suit me but I don't like these either lol, I just like practical things and can't walk in heels, don't want to try. I want to be able to run/jog if I feel like it I just like the feeling of being free. Don't get me wrong I'm willing to grow my hair long, shave my legs and all that as these things don't bother me.

Why does what is seen as attractive on women have to be impractical? Does it really bother men that much?

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely prefer girls without make up, or minimal make up. Although I love it when a girl makes an effort with her hair

Jewellery I am completely indifferent about

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not a big fan of either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im female and don't like wearing make up as it makes me feel too 'dressed up' and I just don't like the feel of it after a while on my face. I've never worn it along with high heels or dresses. I can still dress like a female in leggings and long tops though it's not like I'm in jeans and body's all the time. My boyfriend keeps commenting though when we go out that I've no make up on. He said that make up and jewellery do make women look more attractive. He also points out that heels would really suit me but I don't like these either lol, I just like practical things and can't walk in heels, don't want to try. I want to be able to run/jog if I feel like it I just like the feeling of being free. Don't get me wrong I'm willing to grow my hair long, shave my legs and all that as these things don't bother me.

Why does what is seen as attractive on women have to be impractical? Does it really bother men that much?
    No they shouldn't bother men at all. I thought most women wear these to feel good about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    There's men on here? Cool.

No offence but your boyfriend sounds a bit like a prick :erm: he shouldn't really be saying things like that.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't wear make-up, or dresses, or high heels, and I have never had any negative comments about it. My boyfriend did say that he thought I'd look really nice in a skirt. He wasn't pushy about it, though. So, last summer I bought a long skirt and I wore it a few times. He liked it, and it was actually quite comfortable, but it's too cold for that now!

I reckon it's all about feeling comfortable in what you wear. Some girls/women like wearing dresses and high heels and jewelry and make-up, and that's fine. Others, like myself, don't feel happy wearing that, and that's fine, too. Guys have different preferences anyway.

I wouldn't change my style for someone, though they're free to make suggestions (like my boyfriend did). But I wouldn't be pushy about what I want my boyfriend to wear (or not wear), and I wouldn't be happy if he were pushy about what I wear, especially as I'd probably twist my ankles if I were to attempt to walk in high heels!

ReputationRep:
    Jewellery really doesn't matter. Make up ... eh, depends what's underneath. If your face is attractive enough to get away without wearing it then it's not important, if you look a lot better made up then obviously you already know you need it.

ReputationRep:
    If he just made suggestions, I don't see anything wrong with that. So long as your comfortable and he remains happy, all is good.

ReputationRep:
    Like a girl to make an effort, doesn't mean she needs to get all dolled up though.

ReputationRep:

If your boyfriend is trying to change you in any way he is an absolute idiot. Who does he think he is? Do what makes you happy.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    No offence but your boyfriend sounds a bit like a prick :erm: he shouldn't really be saying things like that.

He's allowed to say what he prefers, in the same way his girlfriend can say she prefers him in shirts or not in skinny jeans. He hasnt made her dress up he's just expressed that he likes when she does and notices when she doesnt.

(Original post by JackBlack)
    If your boyfriend is trying to change you in any way he is an absolute idiot. Who does he think he is? Do what makes you happy.
    All relationships should change the people involved, you learn and grow together. They're not a static thing.

All that said personally I prefer minimal or no make up, though for special occasions it can be nice. Jewellery never really thought about. Heels though.... :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I dislike makeup, it ruins a woman's appearance. Jewellery is a must, it's very elegant and beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Whatever makes them happy is fine, though too much can look comical.

ReputationRep:

I'm a guy and I think high heels are the most ridiculous 'fashion' invention...as makeup goes I don't really mind either way as long as you don't look like the two off of White Chicks.

ReputationRep:
    I think when I see a girl in normal conditions wearing a lot of make up I think she is trying to impress somebody.

Honestly the first time I meet a girl I'm most attracted to her if she's not wearing much makeup.

The more I get to know her the more effort I went her to put in for my benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    He's allowed to say what he prefers, in the same way his girlfriend can say she prefers him in shirts or not in skinny jeans. He hasnt made her dress up he's just expressed that he likes when she does and notices when she doesnt.

All relationships should change the people involved, you learn and grow together. They're not a static thing.

All that said personally I prefer minimal or no make up, though for special occasions it can be nice. Jewellery never really thought about. Heels though.... :awesome:

Yes you're right - two people in a relationship should grow and change together but i believe it should be a naturally occurring thing, not forced upon them. This guy sounds like a complete control freak.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to this narcissist, it's a recipe for disaster. With her attitude, she is almost certainly single and destined to remain so.

Men want as little commitment for as great a reward as possible. We don't want to settle down, ever, unless it's for someone who goes out of her way to make us happy.

If you want a worthwhile long term relationship, you'll have to work hard to keep him. If you don't, he'll realise it and leave or cheat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Don't listen to this narcissist, it's a recipe for disaster. With her attitude, she is almost certainly single and destined to remain so.

Men want as little commitment for as great a reward as possible. We don't want to settle down, ever, unless it's for someone who goes out of her way to make us happy.

If you want a worthwhile long term relationship, you'll have to work hard to keep him. If you don't, he'll realise it and leave or cheat.
    wtf are you on about? A woman should not be slave to a man. You are so misogynistic and sexist. A woman should enhance a man's life, as much as the man enhance's hers. It shouldn't be one-sided.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Yes you're right - two people in a relationship should grow and change together but i believe it should be a naturally occurring thing, not forced upon them. This guy sounds like a complete control freak.
    He comments that she looks nicer with make up and that he likes heels and he's a control freak? I'm sorry; but no. You've taken this the wrong way for some reason and are coming out with stuff that just isn't based on the OP. That wouldnt normally bother me but you're in the section to help people with their relationships, and your words can actually have some serious repercussions for their relationship if you keep making wild jumps. Show some tact.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.