Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the death penalty should be introduced in the UK watch

ReputationRep:
    I believe the death penalty should be used in the UK!!! Who's with me???!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all.

I'd much rather have a "harsher" prison environment for people and longer sentences I guess. Though I do understand the predicament considering our prison population isn't great

ReputationRep:
    No, its the easy way out (if people get put to death row quickly).

If they remain in jail for a substantial time before being put on death row then why not continue the life sentence anyway regardless?

In my mind, the death penalty only serves as a mechanism for people to seek revenge, not justice.

ReputationRep:
    No.

In principal i do believe that violent criminals are inferior and should be put to death for their crimes (murderers and rapists). In practice though, there's just too much of a risk that the state will prosecute the wrong person.

ReputationRep:
    The criminals only get 25 yrs barely lifetime! So if they were to finished their time. They'd be looming across the streets dangering other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    No, its the easy way out (if people get put to death row quickly).

If they remain in jail for a substantial time before being put on death row then why not continue the life sentence anyway regardless?

In my mind, the death penalty only serves as a mechanism for people to seek revenge, not justice.
    You do know it's not that quick.

It usually takes an average of 13 years (in the US anyways)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No, rehabilitation not punishment is the key.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't mind to be fair with you - if there are actually people, for example, who are killing to mass-murder and torture/mutilate, who cares if they're gone? who will miss them? those kinds of people are the scum of the earth
    rather than the state killing them, though, I'd rather their victims got to do it
    however, again, I'm more concerned about harsher prison sentences in these current times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich*****)

]
    Another one who wants to set murderers free!

At its highest the supporters of capital punishment numbered around 70% of the population. The proportion is somewhat lower at present. It could rise.

To get a murder conviction you need 83 1/3% of jury members to find the defendant guilty.

That means you will need a significant proportion of people who do not believe in capital punishment to hold good to their oaths and convict. Moreover a proportion of people who do in theory believe in capital punishment will struggle to convict when it is them sending someone to the gallows.

Inevitably this means that a number of people who would have been found guilty and would have been gaoled will be found not guilty and will be back walking the streets.

Even during the 8 years or so when we had both capital and non-capital murder the execution rate was only about 55%. Before this, the rate was about 50%. They will on the whole have been the murderers least likely to be released quickly under the present regime. Accordingly hanging is not going to significantly reduce the numbers of murderers free at the back end of their sentences

So the inevitable result of reintroducing the death penalty is that more violent criminals will be on our streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich*****)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay. We will start with you.

ReputationRep:
    If you sentence them to death then you are no better than the criminals themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    You do know it's not that quick.

It usually takes an average of 13 years (in the US anyways)
    The reason I gave both is that who is to say we'd follow the US system. We could easily just decide, we'll kill them straight away (hence do our own thing).

ReputationRep:
    Clearly, we can look at our friends across the pond as an example of how the death penalty is a broken system.

a) For example, despite blacks making up 12.6% of the US Population, they make up 34% of those executed post 1976. Why?

1. Black people have tended to be poorer and less educated- the residue and ghost of racism still persists. While crime always is bad, the reason why they turn to crime is because they have been denied same opportunities as whites. So, the death penalty ends up hitting the most deprived.

2. Racism in the police force (not as bad as here)- they tend to view blacks with more suspicion, hence they are watched more closely than whites.

b) Deterrent: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

No major decrease in homicides despite the death penalty having always been around (save years between Furman vs Georgia and Gregg vs Georgia). Doesn't seem to deter people anyway.

c) Giving terrorists the death penalty only makes them matyrs. They should be tried and sentenced as petty criminals, and de-brainwashed if possible.

d) I think instead of trying to bring back the death penalty, we should instead tackle the underlying problems which causes crime. It's by far the most effective long term solution.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it serves no real purpose, doesn't act as a deterrent and is expensive.

ReputationRep:
    The thing I hate about the death penalty debate is how both sides of the argument use pathos too often instead of statistics.

ReputationRep:
    So...someone commits murder, and the way to respond is to do exactly the same to them? No. I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    The reason I gave both is that who is to say we'd follow the US system. We could easily just decide, we'll kill them straight away (hence do our own thing).
    You didn't specify that in your earlier post. Besides, that's pretty unwanted.

Time prisoners spend on death row is horrible, void of any humanity. They tend to spend 23 hours a day alone. So that's pretty dang excruciating.

The reason it takes so long, is because prisoners on death row file appeal after appeal after appeal. Which lengthens the process. to "do our own thing" and shorten their time on death row, would essentially mean denounce their rights to file appeals, which is inhumane on a different level and just completely unfathomable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)

The reason it takes so long, is because prisoners on death row file appeal after appeal after appeal. Which lengthens the process. to "do our own thing" and shorten their time on death row, would essentially mean denounce their rights to file appeals, which is inhumane on a different level and just completely unfathomable.
    As you can read in my posting above, reintroduction of the death sentence would mean murderers walking free.

However there is no reason why condemned prisoners need to spend long in the condemned cell. For the last 100 years of capital punishment in England sentences were carried out between 18 and 23 days after conviction unless there was an appeal. Since the abolition of the death penalty the time limit for applying for permission to appeal has been extended to 28 days and so one is probably looking at a maximum of 36 days if no appeal is made. Assuming an appeal is made but that at the conclusion of the appeal there was no point of general public importance to take to the Supreme Court, you are probably looking at a delay of 3 to 4 months.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. An arrest, a trial, a appeal, a hanging in found guilty. 4 months in total.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.