Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience or know about the role of IT Tech in RAF and the amount of combat that is seen. Are the Tech's sent to the 'Front Line' or are they more the technical side?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They tend to not grab a rifle and charge at the enemy. That's what the Army are for.

What's your actual concern? Are you worried about getting shot at or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomFarmer05)
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience or know about the role of IT Tech in RAF and the amount of combat that is seen. Are the Tech's sent to the 'Front Line' or are they more the technical side?
    Tom, having read the careers page about IT techs, I would surmise that it is not a combat role. I imagine there were IT techs at the big Afg bases such as Bastion or Kandahar but very much inside the wire. That's not to say you're entirely shielded from danger, but as Stacks said, if you're the one picking up a rifle, then something has gone badly wrong! Post Afg, the UK is unlikely (in the foreseeable future) to be in a similar situation, so any overseas postings during your career are likely to be in benign environments such as Cyprus or the Falklands.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for both reply's

Prostacker - thanks, I was just wondering what sort of ratio there would be. I understand that entering the forces, theres obviously an element of danger that could arise, but I was just curious really :P

Ikaruss - Yeah, I see what you mean. From what I read, I see it more as a technical role that a combat one.

Thank you both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomFarmer05)
    Tom,

ICT Techs do not carry out a combat role. The trade is extremely varied and there are opportunities to work in 'risky' environments, but like others have said the majority of these will be behind the wire. The trade is more technical in nature than say, the Royal Signals.

Without wanting to 'big it up', whenever anything happens in the world that involves any aspect of the UK military, there will be elements of TG4 in the region to support it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.