Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wanted to hear some1 else's opinion on this instead of arguing about it in my own head. have chosen biology, chemistry and english lit for my a-levels -- can't decide whether to choose physics or maths...help?!

ReputationRep:
    I'd do them both and forget biology or english, but if your mind is set, probably maths. Of course if you're better at physics do that. If you want to do science later on you'll need maths a lot, and if you want to do physics you'll definately need that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrewd_kitten)
    just wanted to hear some1 else's opinion on this instead of arguing about it in my own head. have chosen biology, chemistry and english lit for my a-levels -- can't decide whether to choose physics or maths...help?!
    Have you considered what you want to do at university, where you want to apply or what you want to do long term? It won't actually make too much of a difference because maths and physics are so similar; but you may end you really enjoying one of them at A level and end up studying them. But say for instance you wanted to do maths, both maths and physics would be handy. Which do you most enjoy and which are you better at? I can't talk about physics because I'm not doing it but maths GCSE is alot different from maths A level - I think you'll either love it or hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths will be more useful in general, but some people enjoy Physics more. It really depends on what you enjoy and what you plan on studying at university.

ReputationRep:
    Maths definetly more useful. Disregard the comment about Biology by the other person.

ReputationRep:
    Maths i would say, i do both and as maths is definitely more helpful to physics than vice-versa if that makes sense. Maths is also useful for chemistry but it can be managed on GCSE i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Maths definetly more useful. Disregard the comment about Biology by the other person.
    Why disregard my opinion?

ReputationRep:
    IN MY OPINION ...maths needs much more work than physics (but its not harder)

ReputationRep:
    maths cos physics is some maths so y not do maths anyway. depends wat u wanna do in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    lol listen to 2776, shrewd_kitten - he speaks sense.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    But WHY have you chosen English Lit? It will not complement the other subjects at all (whether it is Maths or Physics), and with that range of subjects, there is only a slim chance that you could sensibly apply to do English at Uni.
    If you are choosing English as a contrast and perhaps intend to drop it after AS, then there is a modicum of sense in keeping it in your 4 choices.
    As someone else said earlier, it boils down to whether you are envisaging a course at Uni which is science-related. If you are, then to be quite honest, most Unis would probably prefer you to have a broad science background (even if you dropped one after year 12), rather than having an odd English qualification.
    There may well be others who disagree with this, but you have to be honest with yourself and start investigating the sort of courses you might like now... it will save a lot of angst half way through Year 12!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, my friend has a similar problem. She's taking bio/chem/phys/maths at AS level, and she doesn't know whether to take physics or maths on to A2. She's planning on taking medicine at uni.

ReputationRep:
    English is the odd one out here.

If you take Physics, then it is highly recommended that you take Maths as well. Physics relies on maths, a lot.

Maths can be done on its own, without Physics. You could do a bit of Mechanics if you like Physics.

ReputationRep:
    AND, the word is AND....

ReputationRep:
    weather you take maths or PHY, depends on what ur gonna study, but alot of my firends have taken PHY and MATH, phyiscs only helps in the Mechanics course, but they seem to find the PHY much easier, and alot say that it only an extension to the IGCSE PHY, and is pritty easy, But as it has been said before, Maths comes in handy in just about everything you study, but depends on which units you take, the Pure Units are most usefull, a usefull combination would be: P1, P2, P3--------> AS
    M1, M2, S1------> A2

the vectors and Calculas coverd in p1-p3 will all be encounterd at m1 and m2 so ...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    English is the odd one out here.

If you take Physics, then it is highly recommended that you take Maths as well. Physics relies on maths, a lot.

Maths can be done on its own, without Physics. You could do a bit of Mechanics if you like Physics.
    Yeah, but the Maths in A Level Physics isn't too complex (some basic trig and stuff), although it would help if you needed to use logs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    there is only a slim chance that you could sensibly apply to do English at Uni....Unis would probably prefer you to have a broad science background (even if you dropped one after year 12), rather than having an odd English qualification.
    I think this is poor advice, I recently read an article which highlighted the fact that many students attend university who have had science backgrounds but can not write coherently; English provides just the broad base you need. It is clear from your other options that science is your key interest, but the English would make you seem a better and well-rounded student.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kcirtap)
    I think this is poor advice, I recently read an article which highlighted the fact that many students attend university who have had science backgrounds but can not write coherently; English provides just the broad base you need. It is clear from your other options that science is your key interest, but the English would make you seem a better and well-rounded student.
    Actually on a personal level I do agree with you about essay-writing skills, but you could get that with geography or economics - both of which might go rather better than English Lit (which is minute dissection of texts as far as I can see!), the trouble is, since Physics and Maths go so well together, it seems a shame to NOT do them, especially since this seems like a science-y sort of person. Unless you would drop one of the others (eg Biology), you might end up doing 5 AS levels.
    It does very much depend on the individual and the ultimate area they intend to end up in.

ReputationRep:
    Maths.You've already got two science,it's enough.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 12, 2004

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.