The Student Room Group

Women of TSR, 'Smile and cheer up'.

Scroll to see replies

Nah- wouldn't have any more reason to smile. Finding someone attractive wouldn't have any bearing on that if, say, I was having a bad day.

What's the whole Ryan Gosling thing about anyway? He's not appealing to me :l.
Difference is that Ryan Gosling is famous therefore he doesn't feel like a stranger. So I wouldn't feel threatened or confused as I've seen enough of him to not have some bad instinctual feeling.

Just like when a guy in my college used to say 'cheer up' if I was having a bad day I didn't find it threatening and uncomfortable whilst I was walking alone because I trust him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viceroy
Don't think that it would matter, but it might vary from person to person... As far as I can tell, wandering male eyes are creepy no matter what.

You're a guy ffs. Don't speak from a woman's perspective as if you know all about it.

Many girls will have their jaw drop to their knees if an attractive stranger spoke to them.
Original post by Viceroy
Don't think that it would matter, but it might vary from person to person... As far as I can tell, wandering male eyes are creepy no matter what.

Naaa some builder whistled at me once and winked when I was checking who he was whistling at.... That was Because I was in a lowish cut vest top. I was flattered rather than creeped out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
I see FAR better looking guys in my day to day life than either of the two in this thread.

And I usually need to smile LESS, not more.

As if.
Original post by lustawny
As if.

I'm serious, I really do.
I'm serious, I really do.

Pics or it didn't happen.
When you give her the D, she will smile :borat:
Reply 28
Original post by LeaX
Difference is that Ryan Gosling is famous therefore he doesn't feel like a stranger. So I wouldn't feel threatened or confused as I've seen enough of him to not have some bad instinctual feeling.

Just like when a guy in my college used to say 'cheer up' if I was having a bad day I didn't find it threatening and uncomfortable whilst I was walking alone because I trust him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This might indeed be the case had I particularly known of Ryan Gosling (didn't even recognise his face). I think you're onto something.

Also, if people are so intent on insisting a girl wouldn't find a really attractive stranger 'creepy' for this - maybe not creepy, no, because creepy involves a certain amount of unattractiveness, usually. Isn't that a whole different (bitter MRA) issue, though? I still wouldn't appreciate the 'smile and cheer up' from an attractive stranger. I would still find it irritating, ignorant and patronising. I would also likely be suspicious of them. That's the difference, usually - ugly people = creepy, attractive people randomly trying to be nice = what are this person's motives here? Are they a scumbag?
Poor Ryan, he didn't ask for this.

The entire thread has become a debate on "Who can insult Ryan Gosling the most to pick up the low self esteem of the OP and prove we aren't women who wet our panties at the site of a pretty body?"

I, as most women on here, wouldn't smile just because Ryan Gosling or anyone else said to me 'Smile!'. It's annoying, I used to have a friend who did that all the time when we were out in clubs.. "Vikki, smile! Look happy, Vikki! VIKKI SMILE!" Maybe I would be happy and smiling if you weren't constantly screaming "SMILE!" at me... :nothing:

I digress...

Ryan Gosling is attractive, he has a decent physique and a handsome face, but if he told me to smile, I probably wouldn't. I have chronic bitch face anyway, so I constantly look as if I hate life.
Reply 30
Original post by Vikki1805
Poor Ryan, he didn't ask for this.

The entire thread has become a debate on "Who can insult Ryan Gosling the most to pick up the low self esteem of the OP and prove we aren't women who wet our panties at the site of a pretty body?"

Jesus. I hope no-one mistook my posts for that. I have no interest whatsoever in helping the OP's self-esteem.
lol @ girls who say he's ugly when in reality they would probably be dropping their pants for him faster than jimmy saville outside a primary school

even i'm kind of mirin him (no homo)

And I usually need to smile LESS, not more.

You just radiate happiness don't you. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ronove
My initial thought was 'this guy is not attractive but I'm clearly supposed to know who he is and find him attractive'.

My second thought was 'ohhhh, so that's Ryan Gosling'.

My third thought was 'nah'.

My exact thought pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
This might indeed be the case had I particularly known of Ryan Gosling (didn't even recognise his face). I think you're onto something.

Also, if people are so intent on insisting a girl wouldn't find a really attractive stranger 'creepy' for this - maybe not creepy, no, because creepy involves a certain amount of unattractiveness, usually. Isn't that a whole different (bitter MRA) issue, though? I still wouldn't appreciate the 'smile and cheer up' from an attractive stranger. I would still find it irritating, ignorant and patronising. I would also likely be suspicious of them. That's the difference, usually - ugly people = creepy, attractive people randomly trying to be nice = what are this person's motives here? Are they a scumbag?

This.

Sleazy behaviour is such an instant turn-off that it doesn't matter how superficially attractive the stranger was.. any admiration evaporates as soon as they open their mouth and say something I find ugly.

:yucky:
If someone says that me, no matter who it is, it just makes me feel really awkward. My first thought is, "Okay, so you're saying that I look miserable. Great." And then I wonder, "What's it to you?" I'm not some sort of street decoration. I'm just doing my stuff, minding my own business, and for some reason they seem to think that I should be hopping around like a happy little bunny chasing pretty little rainbows or something. :s-smilie:
Ryan gosling looks so annoying :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *pitseleh*
This.

Sleazy behaviour
is such an instant turn-off that it doesn't matter how superficially attractive the stranger was.. any admiration evaporates as soon as they open their mouth and say something I find ugly.

:yucky:

telling someone to cheer up is not sleazy behaviour, though if it is there be a lot of sleazy old grannies in my neighbourhood m8
Firstly, I find it hilarious how some people have found it fine to criticise Mr Gosling for his appearance and degrade him LIKE A PIECE OF MEAT. You women SICKEN ME. He is NOT TO BE OBJECTIFIED. None of you even mentioned what his personality might be like but instead you commented on his appearance yet if you were JUDGED on APPEARANCE alone you'd be claiming the men are SEXIST, OBJECTIFYING PIGS and that you are more than just bum, boobs and legs. Double standards here are evident. I set you up knowing your true sexist objectifying nature would come out and you delivered.

Original post by LeaX

So famous = non threat
Non famous = possible threat.

STRONG LOGIC HERE. Incredibly baffling really considering most rapes and other sexual crimes are committed by people who are not in fact STRANGERS.

Original post by Vikki1805

Hilarious. Not only have you had a pop at those objectifying but then you've gone on to claim I have low self esteem. Truth is, I know Gosling is good looking and don't care but the sexist women in this thread have been EXPOSED for OBJECTIFYING him. Just cause he has hit top off and he's showing some flesh doesn't mean you can go and objectify him. Poor man.

Truth is, if Ryan Gosling said 'smile' or 'cheer up love', most of the girls on here would be wetter than a spillage on a TESCO drinks aisle.

The damning evidence here proves that women objectify men and then claim men who do the same are disgusting and vulgar. Hypocrites. Secondly, you prejudge people you do not know based on status (celebrity) etc. and that image - as to whether they go into the trustworthy and untrustworthy piles.

Absolutely abhorrent. Women are no better than men.
Looks at picture, sees Ryan Gosling, and frowns. You have done the opposite OP, did not make me smile.

Quick Reply

Latest