The Student Room Group

Testicular cancer...

Hey all...

so a few weeks ago I noticed a lump on my manhood. I got it checked out and my doctor booked me in for an ultrasound on my testes.

its probably nothing serious since I'm only 20, but I can't help but feel a little apprehensive about it...

Has as anyone ever had testicular cancer or had a scare? Just so I can know what to expect after my ultrasound...
Reply 1
My partner went through a scare like this a few years ago when he was around 20 too. He found a lump and went to his GP. The GP wasn't too concerned but sent him to an urologist and for an ultrasound as testicular cancer is quite common in young men. He also got blood work and urine samples done which all came back fine just to check his overall health.

He met with the consultant and had his ultrasound on the same day and got his results there and then. I can't remember what exactly the lump turned out to be but it was benign and nothing to worry about which shocked him as it was quite a hard lump. He didn't need any follow up appointments. He was just told to keep an eye on it and if it caused him any problems to come back but it hasn't caused him any problems, it might even be away now.

You may get your results from the ultrasound there and then or you may have to wait a week or two for the letter to be sent out from GP once they have your results. All clinics and hospitals work differently I think. The ultrasound itself only took about ten mins and he said it didn't hurt or anything.

Good luck with your ultrasound. I know its easier said than done as I was a nervous wreck when he had that lump and I'm a worry wart over my own health, but try to not worry too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Spock's Socks
My partner went through a scare like this a few years ago when he was around 20 too. He found a lump and went to his GP. The GP wasn't too concerned but sent him to an urologist and for an ultrasound as testicular cancer is quite common in young men. He also got blood work and urine samples done which all came back fine just to check his overall health.

He met with the consultant and had his ultrasound on the same day and got his results there and then. I can't remember what exactly the lump turned out to be but it was benign and nothing to worry about which shocked him as it was quite a hard lump. He didn't need any follow up appointments. He was just told to keep an eye on it and if it caused him any problems to come back but it hasn't caused him any problems, it might even be away now.

You may get your results from the ultrasound there and then or you may have to wait a week or two for the letter to be sent out from GP once they have your results. All clinics and hospitals work differently I think. The ultrasound itself only took about ten mins and he said it didn't hurt or anything.

Good luck with your ultrasound. I know its easier said than done as I was a nervous wreck when he had that lump and I'm a worry wart over my own health, but try to not worry too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! This helped a lot, feeling less worried now :biggrin:
OP, I wish you the best. It's important to not think negatively, and to always think with hope...whatever the diagnosis may be...As the poster above says, this is easier said than done.

You are young, seem to be, otherwise, in good health, and that will stand you in good stead. If it's just on one, there's a good chance that you've caught it, whatever it may be...early, so that would seem to be a plus.

I'm just trying to refer to my Mother's diagnosis of her Breast Cancer...in this response...and treatment of various cancers has come along so far, and there's new developments everyday. Still work to be done, of course, but it's come a long so far. Organizations such as Macmillan provide outstanding information.

Quick Reply

Latest